C4D crashing / PC shutdown when using Octane only

Forums: C4D crashing / PC shutdown when using Octane only
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

C4D crashing / PC shutdown when using Octane only

Postby ThomasPom » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm

ThomasPom Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Hello,

I have never experienced any issues with Octane until my 2080ti died in december.
It got replaced, but now whenever I launch a proper render (not in the viewport), either C4D crashed, either my computer shuts down and restart (first time ever it does this).
I tried to export the scene as an .orbx as well, and I got the same issue (usually at the end of the first rendered frame).

So far:
-I made the last updates of the Nvidia studio drivers
-I updated my BIOs
-I tried different version of Octane plugin for C4D (R4 and R3)
-I tried different version of C4D (R21-R23)
-My fans are all working correctly + the side wall of the PC is open. The graphic card never goes over 60°

The weird thing, is that this happens only when using Octane. I tried a render with redshift, and it was smooth and kept running through the end.
Also, when using the Octane bench, I don't have any problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
ThomasPom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: C4D crashing / PC shutdown when using Octane only

Postby Rev » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm

Rev Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm
Hi!

From experience - you'll want to figure out what's changed along with your card. If you didn't have problems before, a new variable is causing your problems.

Usually it's always one of these for me
- Driver - Which driver were you using with your 2080 ti? You mentioned you updated your driver, perhaps try the old one and go up one at a time until you find a stable one (studio / creator drivers, NOT game ready drivers).
- Card - Did you replace your 2080ti with a diff card? Is the new card potentially faulty? Different apps access hardware in different ways though if octane bench and viewport work fine it's probably not this.
- PSU Power requirements - Is your new card pulling more power from the PSU than before? A hard shutdown usually points at a hardware failure.
-

Other -
- Is your new card seated correctly (it probably is since octane bench, etc runs fine but worth a double check)

Troubleshooting - Do you have a different card you could try? If you have multiple cards, try removing one (preferably the old one).

Good luck!
Rev
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Iceman9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:16 am

Iceman9 Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:16 am
Thomas, it's always good to go through the usual suspected problem-causes. I see you've covered most of them.

Always good to double check other things you didn't mention:
-Are you sure you have installed matching versions of Octane stand-alone and the c4d plugin?
-Have you made sure to go into the plugin folder and delete the versions of the plugin that doesn't match your c4d version?
-Have you tried the *latest* version that is stable (2020.1.5-r4) and the latest release candidate, 2020.2-RC6?
-Have you looked at power requirements of your system? What size power supply do you have? How many GPU's? Is your Power supply getting older? I agree w/Rev...a hard shutdown makes me think of power issue.
Iceman9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ThomasPom » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

ThomasPom Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.
So here is what I did since:

-I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers with DDU while in safe mode, and reinstalled the latest studio driver.
When I tried again to render, everything was fine. No reboot / no crash.

-Today I worked all day long with octane without any problems. But then, a few minutes ago, I launched a render, and my computer did the reboot thing again after 3frames (F*** me)

Regarding my computer:
-Before I had any problems, I had a 1080ti and a 2080ti from msi + 1000W power supply
-Now that they changed my graphic card, I still have the 1080ti, but the 2080ti is now a model from Asus (Rog Strix)
So I guess the PSU shouldn't be the issue here as it's the same power.

Also regarding the card, they gave it to me as a new one, they told me I was lucky it was the last one they had, but now that I'm thinking about it it's probably refurbished....

-Are you sure you have installed matching versions of Octane stand-alone and the c4d plugin?
Yep, it's the latest version of Octane for both (the stable one)
-Have you made sure to go into the plugin folder and delete the versions of the plugin that doesn't match your c4d version?
yes
-Have you tried the *latest* version that is stable (2020.1.5-r4) and the latest release candidate, 2020.2-RC6?
Yes, I'm using the 2020.1.5-R4
-Have you looked at power requirements of your system? What size power supply do you have? How many GPU's? Is your Power supply getting older? I agree w/Rev...a hard shutdown makes me think of power issue.
As I said above, I basically have the same config than before, because I replaced a 2080ti by a 2080ti, and I never had ANY issues at all ever. So I'm not sure that it could be a power supply problem, even though the symptoms makes me think about this as well. My config roughly goes to 750W and I have a 1000W power supply (corsair HX1000i that I bought less than 2years ago along with the 2080ti).

The really weird thing is that I used Octane all day long with the live viewer on complex stuff, and it worked like a charm. But what really kills is when I launch a render...
ThomasPom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm

glimpse Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Good day,

spent last week trying to help fixing few machine with similar issues.

Could You take a look at even history log on Windows and make screenshots of those critical events?

also what exact version of windows are You using?

on one machine that was problematic we tried a lot of things, different including driver testing (rather obvious) up to.. some changes in registry. we ended up updating windows and it solved the issue. It could also have been combination of things that led to instabilities, but that's why I asked You to make screenshots of critical events from windows log.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ThomasPom » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 am

ThomasPom Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:43 am
Hey Tom!

Thanks for taking some time to answer to this.

Latest development:
-After I wrote the last message, my pc deactivated the graphic card for a while. It was there, powered, the light were on, everything was fine, Windows acknowledged the card was there, but simply deactivated it because it had "problems".
-At this point I was crying in front of my pc, rendering with my 1080ti only
-But then the window update icon came in, and I did it straight away as I knew that might be software related.
-After the update, the graphic card was magically activated again, as if nothing happened.
-it's been working smoothly ever since with the live viewer. But I haven't tried to launch a proper render yet as I'm quite scared.

My guess is that I should make a complete clean install of window, as this seems to be the source of all of my problems.

I'm using now version 19041.685

Regarding the event journal (it's in french so I'll translate)
I got 4 events in the journal around the reboot:

1-ERROR - EventLog - ID 6008
The previous Shutdown wasn't planned

2-CRITICAL - Kernel Power - ID 41
The system has rebooted without stopping properly beforehand. This error can occur if the system is no longer responding, has stalled, or has unexpectedly lost power.

3-ERROR - EventLog - ID 1101
Audit events were ignored by transport. 0

4-ERROR - Service Control Manager - ID 7000
The luafv service could not start due to the error :
The loading of the driver was blocked
ThomasPom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby T-BoneStudio » Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 am

T-BoneStudio Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 am
Hi

I am having the same issue. Just got a brand new PC with 1 rtx3090.
It reboots without warning after a few frames. Sometimes after 15 frames and sometimes after 3 frames.
I am running the newest studio driver.

The PSU is 750w, but the guy who build it, insures me that is enough.
T-BoneStudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D