Render shadow of only certain objects

Forums: Render shadow of only certain objects
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Render shadow of only certain objects

Postby Jengo_1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:33 am

Jengo_1 Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:33 am
Hi, I have a VFX scene that needs some complex shadow matching -
I have a footage with a wall and floor, the wall casts hard shadows on the floor.
I have a scene with a wall, a floor and some mannequins (the mannequins will be composited into the footage). The wall and the mannequins cast shadows on the floor the blends together.

I'd like to render a shadow pass that only has the mannequins shadows on the floor - but here's the trick, I need the wall to still cast the shadows on the floor because the mannequin shadow has to blend in with the wall shadow to look realistic.
If I remove the wall - the shadows the mannequins cast on the floor are too hard.
Here are some screenshots - I want to keep the shadow style they cast on the floor but not keep the whole shadow the wall casts, if i keep it too then it doubles with the shadow already existing in the footage and it becomes too dark.
Screenshot (28).png

Here's how the render looks when i remove the wall:
Screenshot (29).png

And this is how it looks when I composite the shadow without the wall - it's too hard and doesnt blend realistically with the shadow on the floor:
screenshadow.png

Here's what happens when I keep both shadows in the render, the floor shadow gets too dark:
Screenshot (31).png

I feel like it should be a pretty easy fix, like a shadow mask or something like that, this seems like a pretty common VFX compositing need.

Thanks!
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render shadow of only certain objects

Postby Jengo_1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 am

Jengo_1 Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 am
Nothing? I'm sure this is a fairly common VFX question

I think i made it more complex than it is - Here's what I need:

I need to render two overlapping shadows and be able to have a pass render for only one of the shadows (for compositing)

Thanks! (aoktar, beppe, any creative or direct way to do this?)
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am

bepeg4d Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 am
Hi,
probably the easiest way should be to hide the wall, and add an Object tag to the mannequins inside the shadow of the wall, and disable the Shadow Visibility option :roll:
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Jengo_1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:40 pm

Jengo_1 Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:40 pm
Hey Beppe thanks for your reply!
But if I turn off shadow visibility then they won't cast any shadow right?

This is the mannequins cast a reduced, softer shadow when combined with the wall shadow (unlike if the wall is not there, they cast a hard long shadow cuz of the sun).

I ended up rendering the whole scene once as it is with the wall, and used a object color mask to get the mannequins only
Then rendered the whole scene again without the wall, and with a large softbox above the mannequins to fake-soften the shadows. It kinda worked ok for what I needed, but def not a viable solution for more serious projects.

Am I mistaken thinking that this is a very common VFX need? Mixing 3D shadows with existing shadows in the footage?
Or is Octane for C4D not really advisable to use for these VFX work?
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth2020 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45 pm

jayroth2020 Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45 pm
Regarding VFX work, there are certain things that are either voided altogether or completely rebuilt digitally, precisely for the reasons you are encountering. Octane is perfectly suited for this, but you will need to modify your approach to the situation (as any VFX team would.)

You might need to break this out in render layers and mess about in the compositing portion of the process. I have scene whole scenes like this rebuilt digitally (projection mapping is a great asset in cases like these).

Have you researched how shots like these are put together?
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jengo_1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 am

Jengo_1 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 am
Jayroth, thanks for the reply my man

I see what you're saying, I'm barely deal with VFX and as a practice have started this series of videos with some people I work with. They had the idea of implementing objects in the environment around their studio in downtown LA and I thought it would be fun.

Besides guiding the person who shoots these vids on how much to move and generally how to approach the shot, we haven't planned any shot really. It's all shot on iPhone too.

It's very lowkey and am just discovering thru this project the depths of VFX, so here's another thing learned! Although it makes a whole lotta sense to have to ability to export mask passes for specific shadows doesnt it? :)
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth2020 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 pm

jayroth2020 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 pm
You could just as easily render just the particular mannequin and a shadow catcher plane, which is actually a better choice, as everything is then under your control. I am not an engineer, so I cannot comment about extracting individual shadows for unique passes, but given the visual complexity of a typical shot, I doubt that would be a practical thing to do, especially when the option I just mentioned is so straightforward. Until AI steps in and makes us all obsolete, I think that would be the best way to get what you want here...
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jengo_1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am

Jengo_1 Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am
Hah, AI will never make us obsolete my guy! It's just a tool :) (crossing my toe fingers here)

But yeah, I feel you, only reason rendering the mannequin shadows only was that their shadow becomes way too hard without mixing into the wall shadow. When two shadows are combined they become a different shadow, rather than two individual shadows applied on top of each other.

But yeah, I guess I'll have to get creative with it until they figure out a way to mask out a shadow out of several mixed shadows.

Thanks for the help brother
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D