Displacement and Normals/bumps working together

Forums: Displacement and Normals/bumps working together
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Displacement and Normals/bumps working together

Postby pgatsky » Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 pm

pgatsky Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 pm
Hi all

Ive been using the displacement quite a bit for gentle embossing type effects on materials and generally it works really nicely. I have however noticed though and im not sure if its just me and the way im setting my files up but when I use normals and displacements together it seems to stop the displacement having an effect. If I turn the normal off or disconnect the node, the displacement works again. Is this how Octane works? Or is there a way to get round this. It also seems to have some issues when bump is also used.

Any clues as to why this might be happening would be appreciated.

Cheers.
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Displacement and Normals/bumps working together

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 am

bepeg4d Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 am
Hi,
do you have different projections between Displacement and Normal/Bump map?

Always better to post some screenshots, and possibly an example .orbx file, anyway, I suppose that you are using the classic Octane Displacement node based on voxel, that is super fast and detailed, but not precise and has several limitations.
It works only with Imagetexture nodes, and cannot support overlapping uvs, mixed textures, procedural textures, different projections, tiling/border mode and so on.

From 2019.1 we have a ne Vertex Displacement node that can be used with both procedural/mixed/Image texture nodes, it is based on polygon subdivision, and does not have all the above limitations.
http://www.aoktar.com/octane/VertexDisplacement.html

Have you tried to use the Vertex Displacement node with Image texture in Height mode?

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby pgatsky » Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 pm

pgatsky Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Thanks Beppe I'll look into that and get back to you if I have further issues :)
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby volkmar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:31 pm

volkmar Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:31 pm
I am experiencing the same issues. Normal map and Texture Displacement comes out completely flat. i used a baking image node with the voronoi c4d noise and the displacement worked but no normals. it looks as if the scale is different though. i am rendering in an old octane version now to get the job done.
didnt try the vertex displacement yet.
volkmar
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D