Request: Proxys

Forums: Request: Proxys
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Request: Proxys

Postby fLuppster » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:28 pm

fLuppster Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Ehm, you can simply read the thread or my last post, that would explain it. ;)

Render instances: Like a copy of your geometry in the scene. You still have the source geometry object in your scene. Which makes the scene slower and the scene file bigger.

Proxy: You bake your geometry and textures into a file outside your application. You only have a placeholder in your scene. So the scene file is not getting bigger and the viewport is perfectly fluent. Orbx already does it. But as i said:

1) You can not change materials of Orbx objects without recreating them
2) Creating them takes ages.
3) File sizes of Orbx objects are way too big. My library would take 3 times the space, if i would use them.
fLuppster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 pm

aoktar Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 pm
fLuppster wrote:1) You can not change materials of Orbx objects without recreating them

You can change it in standalone. Also ORBX is not a proxy format, it's standalone scene format in reality.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fLuppster » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 am

fLuppster Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:33 am
November 25, 2019:
aoktar wrote:Orbx loader is a kind of proxy. Save your scene or models as orbx and bring back

aoktar wrote:
fLuppster wrote:1) You can not change materials of Orbx objects without recreating them

You can change it in standalone. Also ORBX is not a proxy format, it's standalone scene format in reality.

Yes, that is why i brought up the whole topic. The possibility to change materials in the Standalone is not very helpful for my C4D workflow.

That is why i once again even had to discuss why Proxys are needed. Orbx are not comparable with real proxys. This is why we need them in C4D. I hope, after this long long road of misunderstanding, you can finally understand my concern.

Again, the three things i am pointing out:
1) You can not change materials of Orbx objects in C4D without recreating them. This makes them pretty useless in a proper production workflow.
2) Creating them takes ages.
3) File sizes of Orbx objects are way too big. My library would take 3 times the space, if i would use them.

But i won't use them anyway, because they are not production ready at this point. I really hope i am heared this time.
fLuppster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D