Best way to avoid flickering effect when denoiser is used

Forums: Best way to avoid flickering effect when denoiser is used
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Best way to avoid flickering effect when denoiser is used

Postby silkyre6xtenz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 pm

silkyre6xtenz Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 pm
Hi guys, i have single gtx1070ti (not that bad, but not that good) and i have to render really large animations (about 3k frames). Beauty isnt the goal, that for sure, but still, i get bad flickering effects in animations (cant upload right now, but there are tons of examples with issues like this on this forum)
So - what is the best way to avoid or minimize that flicker? And yep, when i use PT, my coherent ratio is a;ways 0.
But last project was rendered in DL (really low 250 samples), and adaptive sampling with static noise really done nothing (even two similar frames shot through same camera looks a bit different in terms of noise)
What should i do?
oh, and i am a bit nonfused about ray epsilon and filter size option. Scene scale is about meters (13X7X3 meters)
Please help me to figure out the best settings
silkyre6xtenz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Best way to avoid flickering effect when denoiser is used

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm
Even if you think it's the same issue discussed elsewhere, some example screenshots or stripped down scene file would help troubleshoot your problem.

Off the top of my head: A lot can depend on your lighting setup, especially with a relatively low number of samples. Do you have a lot of light sources? If so, you can try either using the AI Light, or manually tweaking the Sample Rate on your lights, which can significantly reduce noise and flicker without increasing overall render samples.

Can you bake some of your lighting? That's a nice way to reduce your sample requirements pretty quickly, too.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby silkyre6xtenz » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am

silkyre6xtenz Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:56 am
frankmci wrote:Even if you think it's the same issue discussed elsewhere, some example screenshots or stripped down scene file would help troubleshoot your problem.

Off the top of my head: A lot can depend on your lighting setup, especially with a relatively low number of samples. Do you have a lot of light sources? If so, you can try either using the AI Light, or manually tweaking the Sample Rate on your lights, which can significantly reduce noise and flicker without increasing overall render samples.

Can you bake some of your lighting? That's a nice way to reduce your sample requirements pretty quickly, too.

what do you mean by baking light?
I figured out the problem - 250 samples at interior for about 20 light sources is extremely low
silkyre6xtenz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm

frankmci Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm
silkyre6xtenz wrote:what do you mean by baking light?
I figured out the problem - 250 samples at interior for about 20 light sources is extremely low

Yes, an interior with 20 light sources can almost certainly benefit from either the AI light or manually tweaking the Sampling Rate (it should really be called the Sampling Ratio, I think) of each source. Chances are, most of those light sources do not need very high sampling to still look good, and they are just weighing down your render time. If you take them way down, say 10:1 or lower, you may need to increase their intensity a bit to compensate for the low sampling, in order to maintain the illumination levels. The rule of thumb I use is 1/10 the Sampling Rate needs 2x the Power to look the same.

I meant baking, as in including the illumination information in the surface textures (usually of environmental, non-moving objects) so that it doesn't have to be re-calculated every frame. Depending on the scene and what elements remain static, it can make a huge difference. Some shots, like architectural fly-throughs, can often render in 1/4 the time or less. If you're not familiar with the technique, it's well worth adding to your toolbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tTLH8wqMYQ
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D