'sampling mode' - what is the point?

Forums: 'sampling mode' - what is the point?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

'sampling mode' - what is the point?

Postby bleepurchin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:45 pm

bleepurchin Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:45 pm
I've been wondering this ever since discovering that you could remove the 'jagged edges' in ID passes by selecting 'non distributed rays with filtering'. What is the point in the user having a choice of sampling mode?

If I render motion blur or depth of field in camera I will want all of my info passes to also have that same motion blur baked into the passes so 'distributed rays' is THE ONLY option that can be selected to obtain usable results.

So, what is the point of the other two options being available once motion blur/depth of field has been decided on as an in camera effect?

If I do not want MB/ DOF to be in camera but instead use a motion vector and Z depth pass I will want 'non distributed rays with filtering' and ONLY this option. 'Non distributed rays without filter' results in that awful and utterly pointless jagged line around all ID mats.

Again, what is the point of the other two options being available once motion blur/depth of field has been decided as a post effect and rendered as info passes?

The amount of times I have neglected to select the correct sampling mode and rendered hours, sometimes days of work that is utterly useless due to the wrong sampling mode having been selected.

I submit that there is NO NEED for the sampling mode as an option when it is clear from the choice of in camera MB/ DOF or post effect what the sampling mode needs to be. Octane should automatically know which is to be used and apply the correct sampling mode accordingly. Am I right? :o

Comments welcome here please! Is there something I'm missing with regard to the sampling mode?
Software: Cinema 4D r16, Octane v2.24.2 R1
Hardware: Intel Core i7-5930K CPU 3.50GHz, RAM 32 GB, 3x GeForce GTX 980
bleepurchin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: 'sampling mode' - what is the point?

Postby KeeWe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 am

KeeWe Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 am
I didn't even know the difference or that you can solve the mentioned problems with that. An automatic choice would be much appreciated... if there isn't some downside to that. Thanks for bringing this up.
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: 'sampling mode' - what is the point?

Postby grantsalisbury » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:14 pm

grantsalisbury Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:14 pm
Not sure if this helps but this was in the documentation.
SAMPLING MODE
Enables motion blur and depth of field, and sets pixel filtering modes, from the options below:
Distributed Rays:
Option to show distributed ray tracing, i.e., if enabled, motion blur and DOF are sampled. This is enabled by default.
Non-Distributed with Pixel Filtering:
Removes any DOF or Motion Blur from the selected info channel using Pixel filtering. For clean output image.
Non-Distributed without Pixel Filtering:
Removes any DOF or Motion Blur from the selected info channel without Pixel filtering. Jagged edges may appear in the picture.

https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/InfoChannels.html
grantsalisbury
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D