Best way to save materials?

Forums: Best way to save materials?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Best way to save materials?

Postby Charliegoulet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Charliegoulet Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to save materials with all maps. I followed a tutorial I saw on youtube about saving it to the Live DB under "Local" but every time I open a new project and try to used the saved material it only brings in the color and nothing else.

I tried selecting all in the Node Editor and right clicking and saving as a preset and it does nothing or I do not see it anywhere in my content browser

I'm just curious how people create texture packs, I have some free textures that I got online here http://www.silverwing-vfx.de/free_stuff. It's just a normal c4d file with great textures but how do I save them so I don't have to keep opening file.

Sorry about the noob question but I can't find a solution to work. Just started getting back into c4d and octane again.

Thanks!
Charliegoulet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 am

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby aoktar » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm

aoktar Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm
Charliegoulet wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to save materials with all maps. I followed a tutorial I saw on youtube about saving it to the Live DB under "Local" but every time I open a new project and try to used the saved material it only brings in the color and nothing else.


Download it to saved scene, it's a warning in title of LiveDB window. Make sense?

Other than this you can store to Content Browser but It will not support Mix materials, you can use Composite or Octane materials in Content browser
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 12719
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby Charliegoulet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Charliegoulet Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 pm
aoktar wrote:
Download it to saved scene, it's a warning in title of LiveDB window. Make sense?

Other than this you can store to Content Browser but It will not support Mix materials, you can use Composite or Octane materials in Content browser


Sorry it does not, could you elaborate? And yes I am trying to save a lot of mixed materials from different projects.
Charliegoulet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 am

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby aoktar » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 pm

aoktar Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 pm
Not sure what you ask, but which version do you use?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 12719
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby Charliegoulet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Charliegoulet Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:38 pm
aoktar wrote:Not sure what you ask, but which version do you use?


I'm saying save scene does not make sense. I'm using Octane V4.02.

I'm wanting to save materials to create my own go to material texture pack to speed up my work flow. instead of re-creating or constantly modifying materials. Much like a texture pack that you would buy from pixel lab except my own.

A lot of these are mixed materials with textures that I want to save for other projects instead of re-creating them every time. I followed these instructions http://www.aoktar.com/octane/OCTANE%20H ... erial.html but they aren't saving properly. I might have to do more research on the subject, I just thought it would be a lot easier to do.

Thank you Aoktar, I hope I'm making sense
Charliegoulet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 am

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby aoktar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:25 am

aoktar Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:25 am
Select top material of mixed materials and drop to Localdb. Then open other scene and download. It should be there with textures. Not sure what's wrong on you. BTW no logic to use old versions, newer versions are always better and less issues. Show me a video with details of material and textures if you can't still do that.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
User avatar
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 12719
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Türkiye

Re: Best way to save materials?

Postby Charliegoulet » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 am

Charliegoulet Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:32 am
aoktar wrote:Select top material of mixed materials and drop to Localdb. Then open other scene and download. It should be there with textures. Not sure what's wrong on you. BTW no logic to use old versions, newer versions are always better and less issues. Show me a video with details of material and textures if you can't still do that.



Thank you Aoktar, I wasn't saving my file at first, I wasn't sure what you meant by scene, sorry I'm an idiot but thank you. I wasn't getting a warning notification though but all is working now.
Charliegoulet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:24 am

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 pm [ UTC ]