Convert Materials - VRAY to Octane Freeze/Hang

Forums: Convert Materials - VRAY to Octane Freeze/Hang
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Convert Materials - VRAY to Octane Freeze/Hang

Postby jessestormer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm

jessestormer Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm
I've found very old posts (2015) that are almost identical to what I am about to ask -- but, it was essentially un-resolved.

When using Octane's 'convert materials', the software will (very in-consistently) freezes/hangs. It seems to prefer converting very few materials at a time.

Even more curiously, I can not find any consistency in what types of materials cause the software to freeze. The same material that will cause a hang to occur, will NOT cause one immediately after re-opening the software.

I am grateful that I am able to convert the materials from another third party render engine at all -- and it's clear that we CAN, but it is SO time-consuming to go through this process that includes force quitting and re-starting C4D while manually navigating through a 'mine-field' with no clear rational for when or why any given material may

Even if it were as simple as converting one at a time, that's do-able, I could create a python script to perform that action while I go get a cup of coffee.

Just for trouble-shooting's sake: I've done everything I can think of to reduce all other system and software resources, closed all other applications, tried reducing the scene to only materials, lowered material preview samples to practically nothing, removed all other plugins from C4D, disabled view.

I'm open to any other ideas! I do this a lot, after getting purchasing stock models.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!
jessestormer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D