scatter geometry over matrix object

Forums: scatter geometry over matrix object
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

scatter geometry over matrix object

Postby turtles123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm

turtles123 Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm
hello, i would like to use the very fast octane scatter to generate geometry over a standard matrix object

the problem is that for every matrix i get 3 scattered geometry.

Matrix_Scatter.jpg

as you can see from the image i have attached i get 3 lines for every matrix. i would like to get 1 line for every matrix thx!
turtles123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: scatter geometry over matrix object

Postby frankmci » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 pm

frankmci Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:06 pm
Matrix objects don't produce quite the right kind of data that Scatter wants as a source surface. As I understand it, Scatter wants either basic polygonal geometry or a simple CSV, while the Matrix object is more sort of an intermediate, meta-positional transformation tool that produces more than basic CSV info.

I just did a little test, and it looks like the Matrix object is actually producing four sets of data, not three, for each unit, but two of the four happen to be aligned on the Y axis. If your duplicated object is small enough, and you zoom in close enough, you'll see that each object is on one of four of the vertices of a 0.01x0.01x0.01 cube.

Off the top of my head, I'm guessing your best bet is to use a true CSV file as your Scatter distribution source.
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 5.02.14 PM.png
Four sets of data for each Matrix location

(edit)
... or on second thought, it may be simplest to just build an appropriate poly object with the vertices where you want them. This is just a 5x5 poly plane extruded five times with caps turn on, to generate internal vertices. There are lots of ways to accomplish the same thing. That's based on the assumption using Scatter instead of C4D native tools for duplicating/cloning is still worth the effort.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 5.25.39 PM.png
Poly Cube Volume object with Scatter
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: scatter geometry over matrix object

Postby turtles123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm

turtles123 Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:26 pm
thanks for the clarification frank!

i think i found the most convenient solution.

1 use octane scatter on a surface (use surface mode not vertex mode).
2 make a simple xpresso rig to make sure that the scattered object and the matices are always going to be the same number
3 and the use inheritance effector to match the matrix object position.

in this way you are going to have one scattered object for every matrix and this is still going to be very fast!
turtles123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D