PC Crashes When Using AI Denoiser

Forums: PC Crashes When Using AI Denoiser
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: PC Crashes When Using AI Denoiser

Postby shmums » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 pm

shmums Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 pm
Thank you for your infos!
I'm checking on eBay.
shmums
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shmums » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 pm

shmums Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:06 pm
is it easy to install?
shmums
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:58 pm

frankmci Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:58 pm
shmums wrote:is it easy to install?

Yup, super easy.

First, and most obviously, make sure the PSU has the right output connectors for your cards.

Second, depending on which PSU you use, it may need to have a particular wire on the harness grounded to make it think it's connected to a motherboard. Without that grounding, it might not want to power up. It's easy enough to make a little jumper from that wire to one of the grounds on the same connector. As I recall, it's just 5v, so it's not dangerous. You could probably get away with sticking a paper clip between the two contacts, but you should probably use a properly insulated bit of wire or a proper jumper. A quick google search on the make and model of your PSU will tell you which wire needs grounding.

Third, make sure the PSU is powered up and feeding the cards before you boot the machine or the drivers won't load, and depending on the cards, you may or may not get any video out.

I ran the power cables from the external PSU into the case via an open PCIE slot cover on the back, but there are other ways, too. Just make sure you're still getting good airflow through the case if you prop open the side door for extended periods.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shmums » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:19 am

shmums Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:19 am
thank you for all these details! I'll admit that I'm not very handy :) I use a Gtx titan x 12 GO (mac pro 5.1)
Do you have a model to advise me?
shmums
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:07 pm

frankmci Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:07 pm
shmums wrote:thank you for all these details! I'll admit that I'm not very handy :) I use a Gtx titan x 12 GO (mac pro 5.1)
Do you have a model to advise me?

Yes, this is a Mac Pro 5.1 running Sierra 10.12.6. and 2x GTX 1080 TIs with the help of the additional external PSU. It's primarily just a render node for Deadline.

The PSU we had laying around is a Corsair TX750M, which is total overkill for this, but it has a gajillion power connectors and types already on it, so I didn't spend much time looking for something smaller. Since each PCIE slot on the mother board already provides 75 watts, and the cards are rated at something like 250 watts max draw, a smaller 400 watt PSU would have been plenty.

Looking at that machine again, I see that I actually used the two six-pin power cables off the mother board, then two of the eight-pin cables from the external PSU. That worked for this particular set of basic 1080 TI cards, since they each use one six-pin and one eight-pin power cable. Depending on the manufacturer of your GPUs and whatever overclocking, fancy cooling gee-gaws, bells, whistles, and other ridiculous color changing Disco lights the've stuck on them, they might each need 2x eight-pin cables.

Here's a closeup of the little jumper I mentioned earlier, and a shot of the overall configuration. You can see I closed off the CPU/RAM compartment with some classy cardboard to keep proper airflow, but the drive/GPU bay seems to stay plenty cool open, probably because it's running a single, cool SSD instead of a bunch of hot HDs, the way it was originally intended. You can also see the optical bay is still empty, from the previous configuration where I tapped into that for powering a couple of 9xx cards.

I hope that's helpful.
Attachments
PSU_Jumper.jpg
ExternalPSU.jpg
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shmums » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

shmums Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm
happy new year every one,
thank you very much for your precise indications!
I will try to put myself in hope that this will solve my problem of crash of the mac.
shmums
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fedoragfx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 pm

fedoragfx Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 pm
2 months later and I still get this issue with the latest builds of octane. Any word on whether this will be fixed? To reiterate I have a 1100w power supply (88% efficiency so it outputs 975w) that I'm only drawing around 700-800 watts from, and octane still crashes my PC every time I enable the denoiser. Using denoise passes in a final render just makes it infinitely render, and if you cancel it then none of the denoise passes actually export.
Windows 10 | GTX 980 Ti + GTX 1060 3GB | Xeon W5590 x2 | 32gb DDR3 1333mhz
fedoragfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lassinger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

lassinger Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am
same here without any solution...!

mac pro 5.1
2 cards
enough PSU power

=

shutdown everytime i wish to use denoise...

. . .

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!
http://www.larsnaglerworks.com
http://www.behance.net/LarsNagler
http://cargocollective.com/larsnaglerworks

Mac Pro 5.1 :: 3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon :: Mac Pro Nvidia GTX680 4 Gig :: 32GB :: C4D 13 Studio :: Octane Renderer
OP-1
lassinger
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shmums » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm

shmums Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm
it's same for me.
did you install the latest version for c4d
version 4.02.1 - R3?
shmums
Licensed Customer