r20 volume: different looks

Forums: r20 volume: different looks
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

r20 volume: different looks

Postby mesut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:28 am

mesut Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:28 am
hi,

i'm sure this question rises because of my lack of knowledge concerning the volume shader concepts of octane in general, so this post is not meant as some kind of bug, but more as a question, asking for an explanation, trying to understand how things work.

here's the situation:

on the left you see the volume meshed volume builder. it has a spec material assigned, in which there is also the medium channel activated.

the middle one shows again the volume meshed volume builder, but this time only the spec-part of the material is used (with same settings). so: no medium channel active.
additionally, there is an octane vdb-object active, that loads the vdb file of the figure, that had beend created and saved as an external vdb-file. so there are 2 objects here, using the same spot.
that octane vdb-object obviously has it's medium-tab activated; the settings here are exactly the same as in the above mentioned other (spec+medium) material.

the right one is the vdb-object again, this time the vdb-object alone, while the medium settings are exactly the same as in the obove situations and settings (where due).

i wonder:
shouldn't the first and the second one look the same? why do they not?

here's the r20-scene:
http://www.mesutcapkin.com/temp/r20_noise_vol.c4d
here's the vdb-file that's being used within the scene:
http://www.mesutcapkin.com/temp/r20_noise_vol_v2.vdb

(i didn't upload the hdr-file for obvious reasons, but that shouldn't make a difference, when it comes to the core of my question)

latest v4plug for r20 in use (live viewer bar says "v4-rc2-r2-test1"), together with standalone 4.00rc2.
win7prof. | i7 4930, 32gb | 2*980ti 6g for renderings | 1*660 for displays
mesut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: r20 volume: different looks

Postby mesut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 am

mesut Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 am
i added a fourth one, again a volume meshed volume builder.
the material now is the same as in the first object, but index is set to 1.
the rest (the mdeium settings) stayed the same.
it looks denser, the color seems different, too.

win7prof. | i7 4930, 32gb | 2*980ti 6g for renderings | 1*660 for displays
mesut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D