Quixel PBR Material - Updated

Forums: Quixel PBR Material - Updated
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Quixel PBR Material - Updated

Postby Ferdinand13 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Ferdinand13 Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm
Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm too late to the party, or if everybody has been able to figure this out for themselves already. Either way, I wanted to share my findings.

I have been looking into combining my Quixel Suite workflow with Octane Render in Cinema 4D for the longest while. Of course, there are a couple "MBB_Quixel_PBR" materials in LiveDB, but as most people found out, once you opened them in the Node Editor, you were presented with a bit of a mess. Worse yet, none of the Image Texture nodes gave any indication, what would be plugged into each of them.

Chris Mills was kind enough to provide an Expresso-based solution to the problem (big thanks to him again), though I realised that this caused quite a bit of loading time, whenever you opened one of the C4D files containing such a Quixel/Octane/Expresso setup. Worse yet, I had a master scene, referencing two dozen XRefs, each containing this Expresso setup. Rest assured, I had to wait for 5min and longer for all the materials to load.

After playing around with ways to improve and speed up my workflow, I checked the various Quixel PBR materials on LiveDB again. They looked still as scary as before, but I came across an addition, namely the "MBB_Quixel_PBR_Plugins" material.

As it turns out, the Image Texture nodes in this one have dummy file paths, which describe whether an Albedo, Metalness, Roughness, Normal or Displacement map should go in there. That was all the info I needed.

I spent some time decluttering the node tree and cleaning up redundant nodes (a lot of the Image Texture nodes are doubled up). Eventually that left me with 5 Image Texture nodes, which I then connected to one global transform node.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 13.08.54.png

And there you have it, a ‘clean’, ‘un-hacked’ Quixel PBR material in Cinema 4D that loads super-quick and - according to my tests - looks 95-99% similar to the image I get in 3DO. I’d say that’s as good as it gets. If you'd like to download the project file, here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ait46ed7osuqthl/MBB_Quixel_PBR_Plugins_Simplified.c4d?dl=0

Just copy the three materials into your project and hook the Mix Material up to your object. While you've got the Mix Material in the Material Editor, click on the Node Editor button, which will present you with my reworked graph, where you can connect your various Quixel PBR maps as discussed.

I hope this will help some of you, who are into the Quixel/Octane workflow as well. And of course, I’d appreciate any comments or criticism, in case what I cooked up here is still flawed in some ways, though after my tests, I’ve got a pretty good feeling about this.
Custom PC, Intel Core i7-6800K, 48GB RAM, 3x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Seahawk EK, Windows 10
Razer Blade Pro 17, Intel Core i7-10875H, 32GB RAM, 1x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid (eGPU), Windows 10
Ferdinand13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Quixel PBR Material - Updated

Postby akihikotv » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm

akihikotv Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:44 pm
Thanks!!! :D
akihikotv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dermotfaloon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:29 pm

dermotfaloon Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:29 pm
Hi - is this still valid?
What workflow should you set Quixel to? specular or metallic?
My quick tests looked very wet/shiny.
dermotfaloon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ferdinand13 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Ferdinand13 Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Hi there,

I hope this is still valid indeed. In fact, from what I've read recently, Otoy has been working hard to get PBR maps from Substance to work in Octane straight out of the box - i.e. no tweaking/colour correcting of the maps needed - you can plug them straight into Octane's Universal Material and the result should look like in Substance.

For Quixel, you should follow the Metalness PBR workflow and then connect your maps to the Universal Material as discussed above. I haven't used the Quixel Suite in a very long time, but it should work the same way as Substance. If things are too shiny, try brightening the Roughness map and see if that helps.
Custom PC, Intel Core i7-6800K, 48GB RAM, 3x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Seahawk EK, Windows 10
Razer Blade Pro 17, Intel Core i7-10875H, 32GB RAM, 1x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid (eGPU), Windows 10
Ferdinand13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ceen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:39 am

ceen Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:39 am
Hi,
is there more Info on how to use Substance Painter PBR textures in Octane? I use the live link plugin which is great but in case I get some baked textures...
ceen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D