Specular texture issue

Forums: Specular texture issue
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Specular texture issue

Postby ed_mciver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm

ed_mciver Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm
Hi everyone,

I've run into an issue that I need some advise on.

I am creating an animation that shows the different layers that go into the making of a bank card. In the animation each layer will build in finishing with a protective laminate layer.
This is where I run into my problem...

The laminate needs to sit on top of an object with a glossy material applied to but unfortunately the specular material comes out black. The object with the spec is not touching the glossy material shape, but if I move it further away then it begins to behave as expected. I really need these objects to fit as tight to each other for the animation to work.

My render settings are set to PT with a specular depth of 16. Fake shadows is also ticked in the texture. I have tried this with a flat object and an object with some depth.

I have attached some screen shots showing the positioning of the objects along with my render settings and the scene file. I am working to real world scale but have experienced the same issue scaling up the scene.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ed
Attachments
Spec shadow issue.zip
(74.82 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Settings.JPG
View 2.JPG
Live Viewer 2.JPG
View 1.JPG
Live Viewer 1.JPG
ed_mciver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Specular texture issue

Postby aoktar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

aoktar Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am
Your scales are very small so you need smaller ray_epsilon(0.000001) to avoid errors. Also caustic_blur should be bigger, maybe 1.0 or near if you don't need caustics.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D