Preview Stall

Forums: Preview Stall
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Preview Stall

Postby Burgess AK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 am

Burgess AK Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 am
My preview window keeps 'stalling'

Stays white until I either a. click the focus point or b. resize the window

Have wound down the kernels and even when I only have my HDRI active it still can't handle or will update any rotation of the HDRI - trying to position it with the live viewer

I have been up and down the manual and am not getting anywhere...

Caveat, I'm not that tech savvy and have only just moved onto to a PC and TBH I think my whole set up is wrong but just don't know a lot about PCs and have come from a 'Mac plug and play' BG

Questions I have that will hopefully give me good base listed here... any help or pointers here appreciated

Non Octane related
How do I ensure that my GPU settings are optimised. ie. I read that PC monitors use GPU or GPU is allocated to running the monitor. How should this be set up
There seems to be a bunch of shit in my task manger running that frankly I don't even know what it is, this must be affecting my performance?

Octane related
If I have no Geo and a HDRI only, why I can't I do a live positioning of said HDRI ie preview does not update unless I click somewhere in it or resize window. PT 300 samples, 2 diff, 2 spec
There must be something wrong here right? I even stripped out all of my non active geo and pasted into another holding scene just in case this was affecting the export to the Preview window.
Still don' really understand GPU Tonemap and priority Prefs, how should these be set up.
Generally what are the first points to check and FAQs with the sort of issues I am facing? Clearly I have some major issues and don't know where to start to begin to try and track amend issues I am having.

I guess what I am looking for a 'ground up' check list of the 'carbon' errors that are most likely attributed to me, I'm sitting here reading things, trying things and not getting anywhere quick.

Gigabyte MB
2x 1080 Ti's
64 GB Ram
C4D R20
1 x GEFORCE RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand
Burgess AK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Preview Stall

Postby aoktar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am

aoktar Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 am
Burgess AK wrote:My preview window keeps 'stalling'
Stays white until I either a. click the focus point or b. resize the window

Do you mean "Live Viewer"? Have you tried to make a clean install of different Nvidia drivers?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby GIOLETS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm

GIOLETS Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm
I try to suggest another thing: check if you have enabled or not "Material Preview" under Live viewer Option. If it's unchecked probably you've got this issue.
i9-10900x, 96GB DDR4, 2xRTX 2080 TI, ASUS X299 SAGE, Windows 10
http://www.visual4d.it
GIOLETS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Burgess AK » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 am

Burgess AK Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 am
Thanks for the replies, material preview is on.
Driver updates seemed to have sorted the preview window 'ting

Thanks
C4D R20
1 x GEFORCE RTX 4090, 64 GB RAM

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand
Burgess AK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D