Can Octane read velocity/vertex speed on alembics?

Forums: Can Octane read velocity/vertex speed on alembics?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Can Octane read velocity/vertex speed on alembics?

Postby jeffthomson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 am

jeffthomson Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 am
so I have had this issue for a while, and gave up last time after not finding a great workflow/solution

How can I get vertex motion blur to be read from vertex speeds/velocity attributes on my data? either coming from houdini, or realflow?

for example, I did a grain simulation in realflow - saved out as an abc, in houdini I could see all the point attributes and use them, in c4d I could get motion blur on them with arnold reading the vel channels, but not on octane..

is there a solution for this, or something that will be fixed? as its a pretty common workflow, and would be nice if that worked.

I thought I might be able to scatter stuff on them, and then moblor the scattered, but seems scatter object doesnt support mblur...
jeffthomson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can Octane read velocity/vertex speed on alembics?

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am

bepeg4d Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am
Hi jeffthomson,
did you tried to import the .abc file in Standalone, to see if the vertex speed info can be read?
Note that you can always use the subframe motion blur trick, if you have issues. with motion blur:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=63044&p=322310&hilit=subframe#p322310
In Octane the rendering time is almost the same.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D