"Real" black Materials

Forums: "Real" black Materials
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

"Real" black Materials

Postby Jugro » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 am

Jugro Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 am
Hi folks,

maybe someone with a little more knowledge about Octane can help me out here:

I'm trying to recreate a black plastic material similar to this:

I'm using a normal glossy Octane material and scale down a noise node and link it to the bump channel.
My problem is that the material gets very light the more bump I apply and I would like to have a similar result
as the photo I posted, a "real" black.

My result:

Any help appreciated.

Thank you!
Jugro
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: "Real" black Materials

Postby Terryvfx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 am

Terryvfx Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 am
I would really appreciate a bigger render to show more of the detail but for what I can see I think you are on the right track if not basically done, you see... In the reference there are a few things that are happening, it could be that the image doesn't have white-balance, it could be that the light has a tint for aesthetic purposes or it could just be a grade on top, I am talking about the color tint of the whole reference, it have this blu-ish tone to it so the point is: your render doesn't have any one of these, it's really neutral and it's not like it needs to have it but that's where most of the difference is.

If you want values to try I would go for a float with a value of 0.05 for the diffuse and remember that the rougher the material gets the less Fresnel it has so you need to count for this somehow, maybe lowering the specularity.

Finally if you know your settings are right and your lighting is right you can try to get there in post, after all most references even the ones straight out of the camera have some sort of pre-process applied to them.
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D