Octane Scatter Object - No Info in Manual

Forums: Octane Scatter Object - No Info in Manual
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Octane Scatter Object - No Info in Manual

Postby artech7 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 pm

artech7 Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 pm
aggiechase37 wrote:There's still no info in the manual about this

Yeah, and it's still a thing I have to fight with. I can't get the objects to scatter straight up or scattered via a min-max slope angle properly.

Sometimes I just have to bite the dust and accept the results I get. Nothing I change in the scattering options gives results that I need. I don't know what I'm doing differently from other people, other than maybe my program is spitting out the height map for the displacement differently than how octane/C4D can interpret it.
2x Titan Z
1 Geforce 710 (For Displaying to the monitor)
AMD 8350 CPU
32GB Ram
(Will be using the most up to date versions available. Always)
Octane 3
Octane Plugin for C4D R15
Octane Plugin for Houdini 15
https://www.pwndesign.com/
artech7
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 am

sbstnc Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 am
Hey Dudes

Using normal threshold in scatter, I can put objects on a slope, but I want the opposite - objects on the flatter parts only. Doesn't seem to be an option for this. Scatter also won't read a falloff shader (not effector) as a distribution map so I can't use falloff (normal vs vector 90deg) to get flat bits.

So for example I have normal threshold set to low 30, high 180, this gives me all the slopes. How does one get the opposite? Flipping the numbers (low 180 high 30) doesn't work, no invert button.

Octane 3.06.2, R18
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TonyBoy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm

TonyBoy Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm
I guess I would try a vertex map.
TonyBoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 am

sbstnc Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 am
Thanks TonyBoy I am aware of the vertex map feature, however as this is a large area we are using combination vertex map and shader, but the control of normal threshold would be a big time saver as then this can be done procedurally. There's always a manual way, we're after fully working normal threshold. Would be great if somewhere on the roadmap we could add an option to invert this to be able to get non-slopes as well as slopes.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby artech7 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

artech7 Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm
sbstnc wrote:Hey Dudes

Using normal threshold in scatter, I can put objects on a slope, but I want the opposite - objects on the flatter parts only. Doesn't seem to be an option for this. Scatter also won't read a falloff shader (not effector) as a distribution map so I can't use falloff (normal vs vector 90deg) to get flat bits.

So for example I have normal threshold set to low 30, high 180, this gives me all the slopes. How does one get the opposite? Flipping the numbers (low 180 high 30) doesn't work, no invert button.

Octane 3.06.2, R18

You have to find a good medium between flat areas and slopes. You might be able to try something like 0 min and 10 max. Or 5 min and 5 max.

I'm not at my computer right now so I won't be able to do any tests for you regarding that. However, if I have time and remember, I will do some tonight and post the results.

I would be all for using a vertex map, however, in C4D, that process is agonizingly slow. Is it just me, or does anyone else just have terrible openGL performance? I don't have issues in Vue, 3DS Max, mudbox, or any other 3D program when I use large poly meshs. Just C4D.
2x Titan Z
1 Geforce 710 (For Displaying to the monitor)
AMD 8350 CPU
32GB Ram
(Will be using the most up to date versions available. Always)
Octane 3
Octane Plugin for C4D R15
Octane Plugin for Houdini 15
https://www.pwndesign.com/
artech7
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TonyBoy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 pm

TonyBoy Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 pm
C4D has a notoriously poor viewport response. I'm going to do animation setup in Maya and port it back to C4D for rendering with Octane.
TonyBoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D