black borders around multipass

Forums: black borders around multipass
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

black borders around multipass

Postby rleuchovius » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:30 pm

rleuchovius Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:30 pm
Hi

I have lately started using Octane for c4d. Works great.

One thing I would love getting to work is the ability to take my render passes and merge them into one beauty looking exactly as the original.

This works except the black border around the object.

I have tried in vain to get it to work and would like some guidance.

I have attached the after effects project with the passes and an image to highlight the problem.

Please assist in the matter. I have tried a lot of settings in Octane but the black border persists.

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 15.55.45.png

tst_03 folder.zip
(14.34 MiB) Downloaded 241 times
rleuchovius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: black borders around multipass

Postby Silverwing » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Silverwing Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:20 pm
I have checked it against what the standalone does. C4D Octane seems to not save "Unpremultiplied" or simply "Straight Alpha" files when saved through the Multipass Save Dialog. (At least not when saving to multiple files and not one multilayered EXR [Was not able to test that because I do not have Nuke etc])
I will write a bug report in the forum.

In the meantime you could save the passes through the C4D Save dialog. There the files have a "Straight Alpha" rim but miss the actual Alpha channel.
But you can use the alpha that comes with the beauty to cut it out from the Multipasses.

Thanks for the hint :-)

Cheers,
Raphael
WIN 10 PRO 64 | ASUS X99-E WS | 3 X GTX 1080Ti | i7 5960X 8X 3,33GHz | 64GB RAM
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby slepy8 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:16 am

slepy8 Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:16 am
what was your workflow rlechovius for generating those passes?
slepy8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ferdinand13 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Ferdinand13 Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm
Hey guys,

Better late than never to this party ;-)

I had exactly the same issue lately, i.e. black lines building up on the edge of the Alpha, when I was compositing an Octane Multipass render in After Effects. FYI, I was rendering it all out from the Cinema 4D plugin into one Multipass EXR file.

I followed Raphael's advice about using the separate Beauty Pass's Alpha to cut out each multipass layer (using the Set Matte effect). However, there was still a 'residue' of the black line left even after that treatment.

After all, the issue is that for some reason the individual layers of the Multipass EXR file aren't using a Straight Alpha, or if they do, After Effects won't allow the use of the Interpret Footage dialogue to set it properly.

Therefore I was looking around on the internet, to find a way to 'interpret' the Alpha in the timeline. Lo and behold, I came across an old Creative Cow tutorial by grandmaster Aharon Rabinowitz, explaining After Effects' 'Remove Color Matting' effect.

https://library.creativecow.net/video_page.php?author_folder=rabinowitz_aharon&article_folder=CCQT_6_Remove_Color_MAtting

It pretty much describes the predicament I was facing, so I added the effect to the individual Multipass layers in my composition and - surprise - the black line disappeared.

So, bottom line, if Octane is once again delivering those nasty thin black or white outlines (an actual fix for that would be great of course), you can use the 'Remove Color Matting' effect to rectify it.

Mind you, not all Multipass layers seem to contribute to this. Neither Direct nor Indirect Diffuse seem to show any changes in the Alpha, when you use the effect on them. However, Direct/Indirect Reflection and Ambient definitely do.

Best, Ferdinand
Custom PC, Intel Core i7-6800K, 48GB RAM, 3x MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Seahawk EK, Windows 10
Razer Blade Pro 17, Intel Core i7-10875H, 32GB RAM, 1x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid (eGPU), Windows 10
Ferdinand13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alecmaassen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 am

alecmaassen Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 am
Ferdinand13 wrote:https://library.creativecow.net/video_page.php?author_folder=rabinowitz_aharon&article_folder=CCQT_6_Remove_Color_MAtting

It pretty much describes the predicament I was facing, so I added the effect to the individual Multipass layers in my composition and - surprise - the black line disappeared.

So, bottom line, if Octane is once again delivering those nasty thin black or white outlines (an actual fix for that would be great of course), you can use the 'Remove Color Matting' effect to rectify it.

Mind you, not all Multipass layers seem to contribute to this. Neither Direct nor Indirect Diffuse seem to show any changes in the Alpha, when you use the effect on them. However, Direct/Indirect Reflection and Ambient definitely do.

Best, Ferdinand

holy shat, i praise you.
alecmaassen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RSgraphics » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm

RSgraphics Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm
Strange. I haven't used layer passes yet because I haven't found any tutorials that i can successfully follow. Are you sure you understand the workflow? I couldn't imaging OTOY would just ignore this issue.
RSgraphics
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D