Rendering splines with hair-material?

Forums: Rendering splines with hair-material?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Rendering splines with hair-material?

Postby Janmansilver » Wed May 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Janmansilver Wed May 20, 2015 11:13 pm
When I try to render splines with hair material I can't change the color/material - it all just renders as white objects/splines. Also when I add an Octane material.

I can get color/materials showing up, but only by first applying hair, but this has a lot of limitations.

As it is in fact possible to render splines directly by just using the hair material, shouldn't it then also be possible to change the color/texture?

v 2.22.2
Janmansilver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering splines with hair-material?

Postby aoktar » Sat May 23, 2015 8:56 pm

aoktar Sat May 23, 2015 8:56 pm
does this scene help to you?
Attachments
hair-spline.zip
(102.79 KiB) Downloaded 1304 times
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Janmansilver » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 am

Janmansilver Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 am
Hi thanks for the demo setup, I got it working with a similar technique - my issue was that hair can get a "bit funky" if other modifiers are involved. I had a curly spline wrapped along another spline which I then had added hair to in order to make it render, and the spline wrapping was causing issues for the hair, but by toggling the active button a bit on the deformer the hairs then "jumped" properly into place.

Thanks again I think these posts and demo scenes are a great help to the community - I've learned a lot by searching these forums for solutions.
Janmansilver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kkoonnsss » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm

kkoonnsss Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 pm
If anyone has a better way to render hair from splines I would love to hear, my current issue is i have a spline driving the hair guide but my spline is pretty long and curvy and there is a limitation of 1024 subdivisions which is not enough for me to get smooth curves on the hair. it would be nice if the octane generate as hair worked with splines but could also inherit the controls of the hair tag without having to introduce the hair object, in this scenario it does not help
kkoonnsss
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kasperrubin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 am

kasperrubin Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 am
I know this comes as a really late answer, but I had the same problem. The solution is to add an Octane Object tag and in the Hair tab select Render as hair. You don't need the hair material on your object, just a regular octane material :)
kasperrubin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D