Photon kernel + octane daylight/sun = flickering animation

Forums: Photon kernel + octane daylight/sun = flickering animation
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Photon kernel + octane daylight/sun = flickering animation

Postby epicmind » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:05 am

epicmind Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:05 am
Hi,

I was rendering out an animation where I'm in need of caustics and noticed the sun is flickering in size/intensity in the specular reflections. Any reason for this? Should I avoid using a sun and create an area light that's small in radius, etc? I'm using the Photon kernel.

Thanks!
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Photon kernel + octane daylight/sun = flickering animation

Postby ShivaMist » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:21 pm

ShivaMist Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:21 pm
You should post your scene so the devs can take a look :) I’ve also encountered the issue but i don’t have any scène file to provide.
ShivaMist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epicmind » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 pm

epicmind Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 pm
Hey thanks for the reply. I'd love to share with the developers - but I cannot post the file in a public forum as it's client/NDA/based project. I might just create a generic version and post this later if I can.

So you've gotten the same problem? In my scene the sun is moving across the sky, playing with shadows on a metallic object. The sun's specular reflection varies frame-by-frame quite a bit. I am currently exporting 2 test render animations 1 with a octane-sun/inifite light, and one with a very small area light (caustics are better with the octane sun in my initial tests). I'll report this back when done.

I'm kinda new posting here though been using C4D for years lol. I just upload the c4d file? What about materials, etc?
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:30 pm

elsksa Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:30 pm
ORBX file.

But for those who can't download them, reproducing the issue on a basic scene and posting screen grab + repro steps will suffice and greatly help.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epicmind » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:20 am

epicmind Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:20 am
Hi, so I did a very generic test. This is a metal tube with an octane daylight/sun light source alongside a couple of area style lights. You can see the animation link here, the specular "sun" flickers non stop, like a candle would.

Video: https://vimeo.com/834237541/f15e6dcac2

I uploaded the ORBX file of the above animation here: https://we.tl/t-PpDB1yx1ru

I did another test without an octane daylight/sun but with tiny area lights, they don't appear to flicker, BUT the caustics aren't comparable. Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks!
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epicmind » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:32 am

epicmind Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:32 am
Just following up - anyone have any ideas? I see the ORBX has been downloaded several times, but no input. Should I contact Otoy support for insight perhaps?
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:51 pm

elsksa Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:51 pm
It would be ideal to have post-fx disabled. At first look, it doesn't appear as flickering but reflection changes due to the shape of the asset and camera movement.

epicmind wrote:I did another test without an octane daylight/sun but with tiny area lights, they don't appear to flicker, BUT the caustics aren't comparable. Any ideas what is happening?

Both (should) produce the same expected caustics result when appropriately setup.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epicmind » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:24 am

epicmind Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:24 am
Thanks for the reply Elsksa.

After doing more testing, it appears I needed many more samples. At around 1200 for an HD animation output, the flicker was 90+ percent gone. Anything less than that, it got worse and worse. At 600, it was every few frames. Sadly, ever since I'm exporting animations, Windows is crashing and forcing restarts now... which stops my render queues. So frustrating. Latest version of Octane, C4D, and Nvidia's drivers (non gaming).
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:05 pm

elsksa Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:05 pm
epicmind wrote:Windows is crashing and forcing restarts

A straight computer restart? From "rendering" to a brute-force computer reset (I guess black screen)?
No blue-screen/error code? What about hardware and heat (or cooling, should I say)?
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epicmind » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:36 am

epicmind Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:36 am
Hey,

It happens while rendering animations. Usually overnight, so I do not see the screen. I wake up to a restarted PC, with the render being stopped at some point.
epicmind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D