Anime kernel for C4D ?

Forums: Anime kernel for C4D ?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Anime kernel for C4D ?

Postby elsksa » Sat May 27, 2023 10:27 pm

elsksa Sat May 27, 2023 10:27 pm
ScottGelber wrote:lol what a joke.

The "joke" here is such inappropriate childish disrespectful behavior, eventually having a pernicious effect on the team.

Frankly, the Anime Kernel is "bonus", so is Brigade, while the actual main product is Octane where all these perks come included, without any price increase - in fact, the opposite happened. It's not as if customers paid for an undelivered product. That animosity and antipathy has no place in this industry. It's not the first time honest developers are being persecuted by "anonymous" users, and that has to stop.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby KeeWe » Mon May 29, 2023 10:27 am

KeeWe Mon May 29, 2023 10:27 am
elsksa wrote:
ScottGelber wrote:lol what a joke.

The "joke" here is such inappropriate childish disrespectful behavior, eventually having a pernicious effect on the team.

Frankly, the Anime Kernel is "bonus", so is Brigade, while the actual main product is Octane where all these perks come included, without any price increase - in fact, the opposite happened. It's not as if customers paid for an undelivered product. That animosity and antipathy has no place in this industry. It's not the first time honest developers are being persecuted by "anonymous" users, and that has to stop.

I'm with you about disrespectful behaviour, a 100%. The problem with Otoy though: they are teasing and promising stuff which are considered by customers when deciding to buy their product. I work with octance since v2 and when I hear/see things about "a great feature" which is supposed to come with the next update, I tend to stick with it and am not looking somewhere else. And that's pretty manipulative...

Otoy should just release stuff when it's ready. Tangling the carrot right in front of your face and never let you taste it or relase only a lite version of it just sucks.
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Mon May 29, 2023 10:52 am

elsksa Mon May 29, 2023 10:52 am
KeeWe, that's fully understandable.

The "communication" is not flawless and could certainly be improved.
On the other side, I could understand from the company's perspective as it's a relatively niche market, the "marketing" (if it can be qualified as one) comes out as "development exhilaration" shared ahead of schedule.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v0latile » Mon May 29, 2023 12:11 pm

v0latile Mon May 29, 2023 12:11 pm
It is definitely a joke to promise features and not release them for years without even saying a word about it.
v0latile
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Mon May 29, 2023 1:41 pm

elsksa Mon May 29, 2023 1:41 pm
Nothing out of the ordinary. Remember which industry it is and look at software developers/vendors history.
There is a plethora of legitimate reasons for such situation to happen (to any software company). It will be available whenever it is ready/usable/with minimized risks (bugs, stability, long term core fit & implementation, etc). Postponement do happen (once again for valid internal reasons) and people should have acknowledged that, by now. Some companies are more transparent, other keep the reasons for themselves, and it's none of our business to ask about it specifically in this particular case.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:16 pm

frankmci Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:16 pm
KeeWe wrote:I'm with you about disrespectful behaviour, a 100%. The problem with Otoy though: they are teasing and promising stuff which are considered by customers when deciding to buy their product. I work with octance since v2 and when I hear/see things about "a great feature" which is supposed to come with the next update, I tend to stick with it and am not looking somewhere else. And that's pretty manipulative...
Otoy should just release stuff when it's ready. Tangling the carrot right in front of your face and never let you taste it or relase only a lite version of it just sucks.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but I've been working in this industry since the mid 90s. This kind of hype has always been the case. These developers are competing with each other on the cutting edge of technology. Teasing what is coming, or to be more accurate, what the developers sincerely hope/think is very likely to be coming to the users, and the marketing dept runs with it, is one of the best ways to hype your product and move units. Everybody does it.

All the way back to Infini-D/Swivel3D/Electric Image/Lightwave/TrueSpace/3D Studio/Renderman/Amiga Reflections/C4D to Power Animator/Alias/Animation Master/Realsoft/Maya/Stdio Max/Blender/Rino/Form*Z/Maxwell/Arnold/Redshift/Cycles/Modo/Mudbox/Solidworks/Unreal/Unity etc. And that's just the 3D stuff, not to mention all the 2D editing/FX/compositing tools. If you've ever been to NAB or SIGGRAPH, they all show of the latest demo reels along with flashy "upcoming" features that may or may not see the light of day.

Perhaps I'm just old and jaded, but until feature X is actually shipping in a reasonably stable form, I act like it never will. Try not to base purchasing decisions based on any features that may or may not be available "soon." Will the tool help you do your job now, in its current form? Can you justify the capital outlay if there will never been an update to the shipping product? If so, great, buy it! If not, don't bite.

Sometimes we are forced to make purchase decisions we regret. I feel awful for people who bought the last of the Intel Mac Pros expecting them to be Octane powerhouses for the next five or six years, and decent workstations for at least ten, but I also understand the vicissitudes of interdependent technologies and corporate strategies. Sometimes they mesh beautifully, sometimes they don't. I'm pretty sure Otoy expected to support AMD video cards on Mac OS for years to come. Well, those were bad bets on both Otoy's and Mac buyer's parts, but that's capitalism for you. Everything changes fast. In a few more years, I suspect the idea of worrying about what GPU is on a local desktop workstation will be essentially obsolete. I would hate to be a media production tool corporate strategist trying to navigate these changes, hoping to remain profitable while scrambling like mad to keep up with the competition so that they don't suddenly become irrelevant without enough time to pivot.

It's been a crazy, exciting, exhausting, thrilling ride, but part of me is glad that I'll be retiring to my wood/machine shop in a few years, where the basic tools and skills haven't changed much in at least 100 years, in some cases several thousand.

... and you kids, get off my lawn!
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby henningricke » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:24 pm

henningricke Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:24 pm
I totally get the frustration on both sides.
Otoy tends to promise a lot of features in a very compulsory seeming manner, that get dialled down, delayed or even lost completely along the way. Naturally this gets everybody’s hopes up and often ends in disappointment. I know, its marketing, but I seriously wished you guys would stay more realistic with promises like that.

On the other hand, software development is complicated as hell, so naturally plans need to change all the time. As 3D artists we permanently have to deal with annoying clients that believe our work can’t be that hard, because its just “done by the computer” so we really shouldn’t do the same with you guys! ;)

I love how much Otoy keeps pressing on in terms of constant innovation! Its what puts you apart from others. Of course, this makes long term planning extremely hard. Still, I’ll take your approach anytime over the “Adobe” way of improving absolutely nothing while charging every month for the same stuff over and over again.
henningricke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D