UV mapping procedural displacement on high subdivision edges

Forums: UV mapping procedural displacement on high subdivision edges
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

UV mapping procedural displacement on high subdivision edges

Postby nullbio » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:35 am

nullbio Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:35 am
Does anyone have any tips on the best UV mapping approach for getting even procedural noise displacement on objects that have inconsistent subdivisions across the mesh?

Here's an example of what I mean, in the form of a cube. My cube has a bevel, and when I apply the Octane tag and increase my subdivisions it causes denser regions of polygons within the bevelled area:

oct1.png

When I apply a noise displacement to my object, if I'm in object projection mode on the noise, the noise is rather concentrated along those edges which is not ideal.

This forces me to use UV maps to get a cleaner result. When using UV maps, it seems as if it uses UV space to determine what size the noise should be rather than, what I assume object space is doing, and using the polygon sizes? So UV maps seem to be the way to fix this problem based on my experiments. But different UV maps give different results, some better than others, for example:

This is with object space (no uv mapping), rather jaggy and concentrated noise:

oct2.png

This is with a generic cube-2 type UV map on the base cube (ignoring the bevel deformer), looks more evenly distributed and smooth but still not perfect:

oct3.png

This is with a UV map created on the object after baking down the bevel, Each face is its own UV island (seems less even and consistent to me and looks like there's some stretching distortion, perhaps due to the UV map having additional seams?):

oct4.png

Would really appreciate if anyone can give me a better understanding of the intricacies of what's happening behind the scenes here, why different UV maps are yielding different results, and what the best approach is for this sort of a problem from a UV mapping perspective.

Also if anyone is aware of a way I can control the subdivision so that it samples more evenly across the whole mesh so that it avoids subdividing areas that already have smaller polygons, that would be cool, as far as I know it's not possible though. Thanks!
nullbio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: UV mapping procedural displacement on high subdivision edges

Postby nullbio » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am

nullbio Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:23 am
No one aware of solutions to this problem or the details of how the renderer deals with these scenarios so we can think of solutions? Surely I'm not the only person who is trying to get consistency with procedurally generated displacement texturing. Is this not a common problem?
nullbio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ShivaMist » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 am

ShivaMist Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:49 am
ShivaMist
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nullbio » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:27 pm

nullbio Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:27 pm
I have, yeah. And many more documents trying to figure this out. Unfortunately nothing talks about it. In these documents all the meshes have evenly distributed polygons, which is rarely the case in reality, and generally never the case if you have bevelled edges. I'm happy to provide an example file if it helps someone to understand this problem or experiment with it some more.
nullbio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jengo_1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:59 am

Jengo_1 Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:59 am
Usually XYZ to UVW projection works best for procedural noises, unless you're animating a deformation on the polygons.
Jengo_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D