Octane crashing my computer

Forums: Octane crashing my computer
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Octane crashing my computer

Postby Anim8me2 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 pm

Anim8me2 Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 pm
funk wrote:
Anim8me2 wrote:As an aside... where did you score the 4090... I've been looking.

There seems to be plenty of stock here in Australia, so it's not a problem if you aren't picky about the exact model.

Anim8me2 wrote:I am guessing that despite my having a PSU rated for 1600w I am not getting full output. Would an additional PSU just for the GFX card be a common solution?

If you don't have access to extra parts for testing, you can also try using MSI afterburner to lower the power limit on both cards. Set it to about 70-80%. You lose very little performance in Octane (1-3%). I've done this in the past to keep things cooler and more power efficient too.

One last thought... Which motherboard are you using? I don't have any experience with TR motherboards, but some motherboards have extra 4/8-pin EPS connections and/or additional 6/8-pin PCIe connections for extra/stable power. Make sure you've connected all of these to your PSU, just to rule this out.

I'm not sure who I would order from in AUS.
Which MSI setting are you referring to? Under "Voltage" or "Fan - Power Limit"?

I have an Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Mobo and all the correct power connections are there.
Anim8me2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm

funk Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm
Anim8me2 wrote:I'm not sure who I would order from in AUS.

Well I didn't mean you should be ordering from Australia (unless you actually live there too? then check https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/vi ... sort=price)

Anim8me2 wrote:Which MSI setting are you referring to? Under "Voltage" or "Fan - Power Limit"?

- click the arrow (1) to select the card (2)
- set the power limit (3)
- click apply (4)

If you find settings that work, you can enable "start with windows" in the settings > general tab (5). This will reload your settings when windows starts.

msiab.png
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Anim8me2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 am

Anim8me2 Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 am
Anim8me2 wrote:
funk wrote:
Anim8me2 wrote:As an aside... where did you score the 4090... I've been looking.

you can also try using MSI afterburner to lower the power limit on both cards. Set it to about 70-80%. You lose very little performance in Octane (1-3%). I've done this in the past to keep things cooler and more power efficient too.

I've lowered both cards by 20% and it seems to be more stable. I can hear the cards ramp up (oddly after the render is complete) but they never tip over into shut down. Thanks for the tip.
Anim8me2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D