Blur only objects on far distance Deph of field camera issue

Forums: Blur only objects on far distance Deph of field camera issue
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Blur only objects on far distance Deph of field camera issue

Postby Cristal » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:45 am

Cristal Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:45 am
In cinema 4d there is an option on camera to blur the image from one point to another point, that means you can decide what part of the image you want to be out of focus and what you want focused.
I want my camera to blur the background but I don't want any blur on the objects I have closer to the camera. If I pick a point in the center (what I want to be focused) and I input a a camera aperture of "x" if the bg is not far, but very far is going to automatically put out of focus the objects near to the camera.
Is there any way to do it as the cinema 4d camera does? So you can decide which objects are focused and which not?

Thanks in advance!
Cristal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blur only objects on far distance Deph of field camera issue

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:24 am

bepeg4d Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:24 am
Hi,
the easiest way is to use a Null or an object in the Focus Object value of the Camera, in Attribute/Object tab:
98E7AFF9-EF16-4D17-8301-2835129E113C.jpeg

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby elsksa » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 am

elsksa Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 am
Cristal wrote:I want my camera to blur the background but I don't want any blur on the objects I have closer to the camera. If I pick a point in the center (what I want to be focused) and I input a a camera aperture of "x" if the bg is not far, but very far is going to automatically put out of focus the objects near to the camera.
Is there any way to do it as the cinema 4d camera does? So you can decide which objects are focused and which not?

This part seems to be contradictory on itself. Long story short, Octane will behave similarly to the reality.

As Beppe pointed out, there is an option to select an "object" as the "focus target".
Depending on the "aperture" and "lens (camera)" distance to that target, the foreground/background object will be accordingly "blurred" in a physically-plausible way.

"Non-plausible way(s)" would likely have to be done in post.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Cristal » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:15 pm

Cristal Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:15 pm
I know about the focus target but I refer to this:
What I remember was the near and far clipping of the camera, and I though if there were something similar that it could be done with deph of field, so to establish a near and far focus manually.
I know octane try to adjust all parameters near reality, but maybe there was an option.
Thank you anyway!
Cristal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth2020 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:29 pm

jayroth2020 Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:29 pm
Yes, there is a focus zone that produces the effect you refer to; it is based upon the focus point, the depth of field (DOF) and the focus distance. This is true of any physical lens and Octane accurate mimics those properties. Note that these factors work with the aperture setting; smaller aperture values (which are higher numbers) will have a greater focus depth than larger aperture values (which are lower numbers). A quick search online will give you better info, but you can also look here: https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/DepthofField.html

It is a balancing act of these values that is used to get what you are looking for. Live Viewer is the tool to use in this case, along with the Camera Object tab and the Octane Camera tag > Thinlens tab turndowns.

Note, you may have additional options based upon the camera type you choose. The Universal Camera, for example, offers split diopters, which is basically the reverse effect of what you are looking for. And, because Octane is physically accurate, you could potentially design your own lens if you were inclined to do so...
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby elsksa » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:56 am

elsksa Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:56 am
jayroth2020 wrote:(...) you could potentially design your own lens if you were inclined to do so...

Indeed.

Octane's Universal Camera options are feature-rich. Up to a point where some lens bokeh's aesthetic could be "reproduced", so to speak.
I've made a handy demonstration here
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D