I just, cannot escape the grain/noise

Forums: I just, cannot escape the grain/noise
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

I just, cannot escape the grain/noise

Postby ycmitch » Thu May 19, 2022 1:02 pm

ycmitch Thu May 19, 2022 1:02 pm
I'm hyper aware this has been asked a number of times, but I cannot for the life of me get this of this grain in my interior shots.

Exterior with sunlight is completely crisp, but with the interiors I've:
- Emissive sampling rates 15,000
- Max samples 6,000
- GI clamp 10
- Using Pathtracing, but Direct and PMC are just as bad (or worse)
- currently just 2 long cubes with a blackbody white emissive material on both
- tried adding more lights
- tried adding less lights
- tried adaptive sampling with threshold 0.03 and min samples 256
- tried howling at the moon

Reference image I'm trying to mimic is here:
https://imgur.com/1a8Fy0j

Closest I'm able to get (after 6 hours of fiddling) is here:
https://imgur.com/cl5b3Yv

I know we're all sick of these posts, but is there anything we can think of that I haven't tried? I've attempted every comment mentioned in every other thread, and it's still a grainy mess. Nowhere near the sharpness of the reference image.

Someone please lend me a hand here?
ycmitch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: I just, cannot escape the grain/noise

Postby elsksa » Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm

elsksa Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm
Hi,

Have a complete read over https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-settings and come back if you are still struggling. You should not be as what I wrote should give enough pointers to handle the situation but I will still be happy to help further if needed.

You will also realize that at least one setting you've mentioned is wrongly used. I let you find out which one.

If you are interested, you could also join the Octane Discord server I am also part of.
Discussions are real-time as opposed to the forum. As you wish. Link in my signature.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Sat May 21, 2022 2:43 pm

boxfx Sat May 21, 2022 2:43 pm
You will also realize that at least one setting you've mentioned is wrongly used. I let you find out which one.

Why would you tell someone that is asking for help that you know what the problem is, but you're not going to tell them?...

Upload a scene (strip it of any objects which aren't needed) and we'll take a look
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sun May 22, 2022 9:43 pm

elsksa Sun May 22, 2022 9:43 pm
boxfx wrote:
Why would you tell someone that is asking for help that you know what the problem is, but you're not going to tell them?... Upload a scene (strip it of any objects which aren't needed) and we'll take a look

I could do that and even have many scene files that I can share (and plan to as an online free library).

However, I tend to be disappointed by user not learning when pre-made files are given to them.
The best way to learn is by acknowledging. Octane is not that hard to learn, yet, it is capital to understand what does all the options do rather than copying someone else values.

This is valid in many fields/domains and is my experience from years of helping and tutoring. I also spent a lot of time writing Octane-dedicated informative content on my website!
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Maxter » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:00 pm

Maxter Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:00 pm
Hi,
I would try to decrease your emission samplings back to 1 and activate AI Light
Octane for Cinema 4D
5950X | 64 GB 3600MHz DDR4 | 2x 3080 RTX 10 GB | 1200W PSU
Maxter
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ilius » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 am

Ilius Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 am
elsksa wrote:Hi,

Have a complete read over https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-settings and come back if you are still struggling. You should not be as what I wrote should give enough pointers to handle the situation but I will still be happy to help further if needed.

If you are interested, you could also join the Octane Discord server I am also part of.
Discussions are real-time as opposed to the forum. As you wish. Link in my signature.

If that isnt the cheesiest way of bringing more people to your own homepage than i dont know what that is.
i agree with learning by doing and RTFM is very important (readthefuckingmanual for everyone who knows adam savage), but still.

Try Path Tracing, give it about 3000 samples for interiors, pull GI clamp down to 5, activate AI Light, activate adaptive sampling and leave it at default.
for your lights (be it via texture or arealight, use Texture emmission with a gaussian spectrum for lightcolor control, thats way better than blacklight.
power for a texture emission with gaussian texture only needs to be around 1 for good illumination
be sure to have surface brightness turned off, thats only for monitor type like materials.
have sampling rate all at the same niveau, 1 is good. turn single lights up if you know grain comes from that light.

and most important: Activate your denoiser in the camera
Ilius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 am

elsksa Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 am
Ilius wrote:If that isnt the cheesiest way of bringing more people to your own homepage than i dont know what that is.

Hi Ilius,
This forum, as many similar places (e.g. Discord servers), have and will continue have new (more or less) redundant (duplicated) posts, every now and then. The website (scientia section, specifically) is a way to gather in one place, all the information that I (and some other users) often have to repeat (way too many times) on a daily basis, which (the repeating) isn't efficient. Similar to a documentation or F.A.Q.

To be clear and transparent here, there is no ad, no sign-up or anything. This isn't to get me new client either (I'm no longer "in the business"). I hope it clarified my intentions.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 am

elsksa Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:17 am
Maxter wrote:Hi,
I would try to decrease your emission samplings back to 1 and activate AI Light

By the way, I was referring to this parameter, in my first reply.

The original poster mentioned "Emissive sampling rates 15,000", which isn't "light sampling", but, simply said, a "light priority" factor. It allows to prioritize the sampling of some lights that have the highest value (relative to the other lights). There should be no need for extreme values in most cases.
For instance, a scene with two lights: Light A gets a value of 1, if Light B requires sampling priority, the value has to be superior to the Light A Sampling Rate value, and so on.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby promity » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:59 am

promity Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:59 am
Do you use Denoiser?
AMD Threadripper 1950X/64gb ram/RTX 3080 Ti + RTX 2070/Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb/
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mikeadamwood » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pm

mikeadamwood Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:28 pm
Ilius wrote:
elsksa wrote:Hi,

If that isnt the cheesiest way of bringing more people to your own homepage than i dont know what that is.
i agree with learning by doing and RTFM is very important (readthefuckingmanual for everyone who knows adam savage), but still.

Try Path Tracing, give it about 3000 samples for interiors, pull GI clamp down to 5, activate AI Light, activate adaptive sampling and leave it at default.
for your lights (be it via texture or arealight, use Texture emmission with a gaussian spectrum for lightcolor control, thats way better than blacklight.
power for a texture emission with gaussian texture only needs to be around 1 for good illumination
be sure to have surface brightness turned off, thats only for monitor type like materials.
have sampling rate all at the same niveau, 1 is good. turn single lights up if you know grain comes from that light.

and most important: Activate your denoiser in the camera

So linking someone to a perfectly good resource, that someone has spent time and effort putting together (for zero financial gain btw) is now a crime these days?
Windows 10 | ASUS Pro WS X99 SAGE II | Intel Core i9-10900X | 64GB Corsair Vengence | 3x Evga GTX 1080ti
mikeadamwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D