LDR Multi-Pass images with OCIO

Forums: LDR Multi-Pass images with OCIO
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: LDR Multi-Pass images with OCIO

Postby Meet » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Meet Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:35 pm
aoktar wrote:Png is marked as sRGB for saving if you are using it with default sRGB. But any OCIO profile is assumed linear. Set it as linear on saving.

I am sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean, are you suggesting after the image is exported I change it to linear in a compositing software?
If not, then can you tell the steps to get final image + render passes with OCIO baked-in in png format?
Ryzen 9 5900x | 64GB RAM | 1x RTX 3090
Blender | C4D | Standalone
Win 10
Meet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm

aoktar Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Pretty easy, you need to set it "LINEAR" because OCIO is linear internally. And always disable "ENABLE COLOR PROFILE" in PICTURE VIEWER. It's giving headhaches because it's not aware of the colorspace we're using.
Attachments
saving-PNG-with-OCIO-sRGB-and-Passes.jpg
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Meet » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Meet Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 pm
aoktar wrote:Pretty easy, you need to set it "LINEAR" because OCIO is linear internally. And always disable "ENABLE COLOR PROFILE" in PICTURE VIEWER. It's giving headhaches because it's not aware of the colorspace we're using.

I am still not getting the expected results, the passes don't export with ACES OCIO - sRGB.

Sharing the c4d file along with the expected results which I got via file > save image as on the octane live viewer.
Now I am only asking how can I save the passes in png with ACES srgb baked in without saving it manually from live viewer
Attachments
Light direction.png
The passes with ACES- sRGB baked in
Refraction.png
Beauty.png
OCIO test.rar
C4D file
(911.3 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Cinema_4D_p2ivde7L5K.png
Win 10
Meet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth2020 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 pm

jayroth2020 Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:16 pm
Hello Meet,

Set up your Render Settings panel as I have in the screenshots. You will need to set up both the Main tab AND the Render AOV Group tab as you see in these images. When you do, you will end up with the image that matches the one I have included. DO NOT USE THE CINEMA 4D SAVER.

Cinema_4D_2021-12-06_12-12-34.png

Cinema_4D_2021-12-06_12-08-13.png

OCIO_Test_Main_0000.png
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby aoktar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm

aoktar Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:40 pm
+1 for Jayroth and +2 for: Why do you desperately trying to use PNG for render passes tooo?
It's wrong to insist to save render passes with sRGB. You cannot use these for comping. I see you're probably trying to just use "refraction" and "light direction". But don't apply sRGB colorspace before displaying something.

Please choose the ways we advice for render passes as much as possible.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Meet » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am

Meet Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:36 am
jayroth2020 wrote:Hello Meet,

Set up your Render Settings panel as I have in the screenshots. You will need to set up both the Main tab AND the Render AOV Group tab as you see in these images. When you do, you will end up with the image that matches the one I have included. DO NOT USE THE CINEMA 4D SAVER.

Thank you Jay, but I have set the settings just as you suggested and I am not getting same result as you via the octane export. I am getting the same result on my c4d picture viewer though, with viewer color profile set to linear

aoktar wrote:+1 for Jayroth and +2 for: Why do you desperately trying to use PNG for render passes tooo?
It's wrong to insist to save render passes with sRGB. You cannot use these for comping. I see you're probably trying to just use "refraction" and "light direction". But don't apply sRGB colorspace before displaying something.

I understand and agree that EXR workflow would be ideal, but I am was using octane with blender before and this workflow was working pretty fine so I thought I was making a mistake in C4d to get the same results, so to clarify I made a forum post.

Okay so after previewing the message before submitting I understood that there is some issue on my end/understanding as the same exported photo looked different to me on my image viewer as compared to the same photo I uploaded on this post (probably something to do with HDR buffer?)
Now I can verify that I was getting the right result all along, just was viewing it in the wrong place.
For example both these png images look same inside fusion
explorer_dqUle07AFs.png
explorer_dqUle07AFs.png (32.63 KiB) Viewed 996 times

chrome_K3M6Sqb0mr.jpg
All are the same image opened via different softwares

Thank you.
Win 10
Meet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:01 am

elsksa Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:01 am
aoktar wrote:+1 for Jayroth and +2 for: Why do you desperately trying to use PNG for render passes tooo?

Hello Meet, I have been "secretly" following this thread, since I am not a Octane-Cinema-4D user (Standalone only), I was curious about it.

+1 with what aoktar wrote, which I even did mention on many occasions. The AOVs/"Passes" should not be "display-referred", among the usage of an appropriate file format.
Instead of PNG as the OpenEXR alternative (which is highly not recommended), TIFF is recommended as (shortly) mentioned and covered on this page: https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/file-format-debunk
Meet wrote:I understand and agree that EXR workflow would be ideal, but I am was using octane with blender before and this workflow was working pretty fine so I thought I was making a mistake in C4d to get the same results, so to clarify I made a forum post.

A lot of people think it is "working fine" and "looks correct" while it is not due to a lack of knowledge on the mathematical logic behind scene-linear compositing and digital imagery in general.

This thread was a great initiative (I do remember that you did post on Discord as well) and is (hopefully) an eye-opener for you and others in regard to proper file format, correct viewing and "best practices".
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:05 am

elsksa Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:05 am

Hello Meet, I have been "secretly" following this thread, since I am not a Octane-Cinema-4D user (Standalone only), I was curious about it.

+1 with what aoktar wrote, which I even did mention on many occasions. The AOVs/"Passes" should not be "display-referred", among the usage of an appropriate file format.
Instead of PNG as the OpenEXR alternative (which is highly not recommended), TIFF is recommended as (shortly) mentioned and covered on this page: https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/file-format-debunk
Meet wrote:I understand and agree that EXR workflow would be ideal, but I am was using octane with blender before and this workflow was working pretty fine so I thought I was making a mistake in C4d to get the same results, so to clarify I made a forum post.

A lot of people think it is "working fine" and "looks correct" while it is not due to a lack of knowledge on the mathematical logic behind scene-linear compositing and digital imagery in general.

This thread was a great initiative (I do remember that you did post on Discord as well) and is (hopefully) an eye-opener for you and others in regard to proper file format, correct viewing and "best practices".
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D