Question about denoising

Forums: Question about denoising
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Question about denoising

Postby animas3D » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm

animas3D Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm
Hello,

Before I kicked off my render (792 frames), I went to the denoiser tab and checked Enable Denoising as well as Denoise on Completion. I am rendering with Path Tracing at 500 samples with motion blur enabled on the camera.

It has been rendering for 24 hours and I am noticing that there it is pretty noisy. Is there anything else I need to do to enable the denoiser on the final frames? Do I need to restart the render with another setting checked? I would rather not, but if I have to I will.

Also, in case I don't feel like re-rendering, Is there something I can do in post process? Can Octane do something after the render?

Also, I heard good things about the neat video plugin. Is that something people use?

Thank you.
animas3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Question about denoising

Postby aoktar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm

aoktar Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm
Denoising is applied in to an extra render pass not to beauty. There is a check box to copy it to beauty result at end of render process in every frames. Always do some testing before leave a long render.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby animas3D » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm

animas3D Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:10 pm
Hello everyone, following up from my previous message.

I stopped my render and rendered a frame in the Live Viewer Window. On the bottom of the frame, there are little tabs for Main, Demain, Op, Z and Out.

I clicked the DeMain at the bottom of the Live Viewer Window which is the denoise pass and it is much cleaner than the final frames the renderer is kicking out.

How do I get the denoiser to kick into my final frames that are being rendered in the Picture Viewer?

I suppose I will now have to start at the beginning and re-render, but the results are so much better that I will do it if I have to.
animas3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby animas3D » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:29 pm

animas3D Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:29 pm
aoktar wrote:Denoising is applied in to an extra render pass not to beauty. There is a check box to copy it to beauty result at end of render process in every frames. Always do some testing before leave a long render.

Thank you for your reply. I did not see it before I posted my last message. I assume this is a new feature.

Is this the checkbox you are talking about (with the green arrow)?

By the way, while we are at it, there is something that has been confusing me. What is the render pass file? Should I leave it blank? (Red Arrow)

EnableAOVEXR.png
animas3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:56 pm

elsksa Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:56 pm
Hi animas3D,

Sampling is almost always scene-dependent, although some cases will obviously be similar to others. Without specific information about your scene, I can only share some general suggestions.
It is strongly recommended to deeply acknowledge Octane's render setttings.
Some links: https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-settings and the official documentation for further understand of Octane's Path Tracing Kernel's settings https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/StandaloneManual.htm#StandaloneSTA/TheGeometryImportSettings.htm.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 pm

aoktar Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 pm
animas3D wrote:
aoktar wrote:Denoising is applied in to an extra render pass not to beauty. There is a check box to copy it to beauty result at end of render process in every frames. Always do some testing before leave a long render.

Thank you for your reply. I did not see it before I posted my last message. I assume this is a new feature.

Is this the checkbox you are talking about (with the green arrow)?

By the way, while we are at it, there is something that has been confusing me. What is the render pass file? Should I leave it blank? (Red Arrow)

EnableAOVEXR.png

Yes it's for activating the denoised beauty pass. Render pass is old concept that's now renamed as render AOVs after we added AOV feature. You should use this and/or also "use denoised beauty pass" in main render settings. It will copy denoised beauty pass in to main buffer without selecting the render AOVs(aka old render passes).
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby animas3D » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm

animas3D Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm
aoktar wrote:Yes it's for activating the denoised beauty pass. Render pass is old concept that's now renamed as render AOVs after we added AOV feature. You should use this and/or also "use denoised beauty pass" in main render settings. It will copy denoised beauty pass in to main buffer without selecting the render AOVs(aka old render passes).

Thank you. Is there any place to get more information (tutorials, manuals) about the new AOV workflow? I will be delivering training sessions to a very large and famous US broadcast company in January. Unless it is out of date, the manual I have doesn't seem to cover it. Is there an updated one?

Also, thank you elksa for the links! I am looking forward to reading it.

Joe.
animas3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D