Octane Network Rendering over LAN

Forums: Octane Network Rendering over LAN
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Octane Network Rendering over LAN

Postby Gpix » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Gpix Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:17 pm
Hi everyone,

I hope I can explain it well, what my question is:

I have bought a new workstation (4 additional GPUs). I bought a second render Node license for octane to use it in a Network Rendering environment with my old workstation. So, both workstation have internet over a wlan adapter to sign into the Octane license. For better datarates inside my network, both workstation are also connected via a Gigabit-Cable-LAN-connection. Both workstations recognize eachother, network is working. I also rerouted already, that both workstations use the WLAN-Adapters if they want to use the internet, and if I accessing data from my harddrives, it will use the LAN-cable-connection.

I have a pretty heavy scene: Around 1 GB in size. When I start the Network rendering within the live viewer, it recognize all the GPUs of the new workstation. With smaller scenes it works flawless over the WLAN connection.
But now to my problem:
When I will start the bespoken big scene, I can see in the Network monitoring, that it starts to transmit the 1 GB over the WLAN to the Render Node and not over the Gigabit-LAN-Cable network. And so it takes forever for the Render Node GPUs to kick into the rendering process of that frame. That is not really acceptable and practical inside a workflow.

Now to my question:

Is there a way, to say to the Octane rendering daemon that it should only use the connection over the cable-lan? So, that the license-validation works over the WLAN-Adapter to the Internet, but the DATA transfer for rendering the scene with the network is set for the LAN-cable?

Thanks everyone who can help.

And of course, thank you in advance!
Gpix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Network Rendering over LAN

Postby natemac00 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:12 pm

natemac00 Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:12 pm
If both computers can see each other on your WLAN adapter and your gLAN adapter, you could have conflict.
Are these computers near each other? could you connect them both to a gigabit switch and then just connect the switch to your WLAN network?
I feel like you may just be over complicating this.

My office only has one gigabit network and I'm rendering with three other computers around the building and everything runs just fine with very large scenes.
Slaves: 4x GTX 980 Ti | GTX 1080 | GTX 1070 | GTX 1070Ti
natemac00
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Network Rendering over LAN

Postby Gpix » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Gpix Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:06 pm
Hi natemac00,

you were absolutely right. I can't even imagine, why I didn't think of that way in first place. Had been some rough days since the new machine arrived and needed to be set up.
Wasn't able to think out of the "WLAN-Box" with that lack of sleep, I guess :D

Bought a LAN-Switch, works like a charme now!
Thank you so much for that hint!

Best regards
Gpix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D