Adaptive Sampling

Forums: Adaptive Sampling
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Adaptive Sampling

Postby atoyuser1 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm

atoyuser1 Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to reduce render times with the Adaptive Sampler, but not getting many positive results

I have a bunch of semi-opaque emissive planes, with a lot of motion blur and depth of field turned on. There are no lights or HDRIs in the scene.

Here is a 512 samples render which took 15 secs:

test0517.png
512 samples - no adaptive sampling - 15 secs render time

Here is the same render with adaptive sampling turned on (128 min samples):

test0517.png
512 samples - 128 min adaptive sampling - 14 secs render time

It knocks off 1 seconds, but the quality isn't great. I tried to reduce further the min samples but that left black spots and didn't help render time:

test0517.png
512 samples - 64 min adaptive sampling - 14 secs render time

Any ideas how I can use Adaptive Sampling properly on this? Or perhaps I'm thinking this project isn't suitable for AS.

Thanks
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Adaptive Sampling

Postby frankmci » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm

frankmci Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm
Try watching the Noise channel as your frame renders. I'm looking at one of your images in photoshop with the levels cranked up, and I can see that there are glow or blur gradients covering pretty much every pixel in the image, even though it looks like there are large areas of simple blackness. If those areas really were just black, you would probably see a significant reduction in render time with adaptive sampling. To reduce your render times, you're probably going to need to increase your noise threshold a bit, or reduce that glow/blur. When you watch the Noise channel, the areas that turn green have reached your threshold, and are no longer using up render horsepower.
Attachments
glow.jpg
Levels Cranked to show glow/blur
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby atoyuser1 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:11 pm

atoyuser1 Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:11 pm
frankmci wrote:Try watching the Noise channel as your frame renders. I'm looking at one of your images in photoshop with the levels cranked up, and I can see that there are glow or blur gradients covering pretty much every pixel in the image, even though it looks like there are large areas of simple blackness. If those areas really were just black, you would probably see a significant reduction in render time with adaptive sampling. To reduce your render times, you're probably going to need to increase your noise threshold a bit, or reduce that glow/blur. When you watch the Noise channel, the areas that turn green have reached your threshold, and are no longer using up render horsepower.

Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention that bloom on there.

That makes sense, I understand a bit more now. It's like saving a gif, you'll get better results with flatter colours.

Thanks for your help!
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:21 am

boxfx Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:21 am
You've only told us 1 of the adaptive settings what about the others?

As a basic guide:
Noise threshold: This is the overall quality of the final render and is pretty much the most important one. Use values of around 0.05 to 0.1 - A value of 0.1 will give a generally ok level of noise, I tend to lower this down to 0.08 when I need a higher quality. 0.05 is the lowest I've ever needed to push it on any project.

Min samples: This pretty much attacks the random black pixels you see. For a fast render without too many soft alpha/opacity channel gradients you can often get away with 32 samples. Anything with lots of gradients in material opacity channels tends to need more. Bump this up to 128 or 256 as needed. 512 should be about the max this ever needs to be. 64 or 128 seems to be the sweet spot.

Expected exposure: If the missing pixels tend to be in only the bright areas or dark areas, try pushing this up or down.

Group pixels: 4x4 almost always gives the best quality and render time. No idea what it really does but that's my experience.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby atoyuser1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:20 pm

atoyuser1 Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:20 pm
boxfx wrote:You've only told us 1 of the adaptive settings what about the others?

As a basic guide:
Noise threshold: This is the overall quality of the final render and is pretty much the most important one. Use values of around 0.05 to 0.1 - A value of 0.1 will give a generally ok level of noise, I tend to lower this down to 0.08 when I need a higher quality. 0.05 is the lowest I've ever needed to push it on any project.

Min samples: This pretty much attacks the random black pixels you see. For a fast render without too many soft alpha/opacity channel gradients you can often get away with 32 samples. Anything with lots of gradients in material opacity channels tends to need more. Bump this up to 128 or 256 as needed. 512 should be about the max this ever needs to be. 64 or 128 seems to be the sweet spot.

Expected exposure: If the missing pixels tend to be in only the bright areas or dark areas, try pushing this up or down.

Group pixels: 4x4 almost always gives the best quality and render time. No idea what it really does but that's my experience.
Hi, thanks for this extra info.

The Noise Threshold is 0.03. This is the default, and after a bit of googling I found the census was not many people change this.

Min samples, good to know 64-128 is the sweet spot!

Expected Exposure: 1. I was informed this only needed to match the exposure of the Camera Imager Exposure. I'll have a play

Group pixels was 2x2. I tried 4x4, but it was significantly slower. To the point where it was more efficient to up the overall samples instead

Thanks again
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D