Focus stealing nightmare

Forums: Focus stealing nightmare
Autodesk Softimage XSI (Developed by Face)

Focus stealing nightmare

Postby jamnique » Sun May 29, 2011 6:08 am

jamnique Sun May 29, 2011 6:08 am
Hello, I'm sure lots of people are familiar with this problem. I even posted a solution for it in some other thread, but it doesn't work anymore.
The problem is that Octane, like many other applications, steals focus. Which means that with short render times you have to deal with Octane popping up every 10 seconds, exactly in the center of the screen, which makes doing anything else extremely hard and annoying. Does anybody have a solution that still works? Sorry if i am repeating what has already been said (or what i said somewhere else) but this is a nightmare.

Face, would it be possible to prevent Octane from doing that, of force it to minimize after starting up?
Intel Core2Quad 9200 / 4 GB OCZ / Gainward 460 2GB
jamnique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Focus stealing nightmare

Postby abstrax » Sun May 29, 2011 7:05 am

abstrax Sun May 29, 2011 7:05 am
I don't think he can. It's a problem in the GUI toolkit: Every dialog window is opened as a toplevel window, which then grabs the focus. You can avoid, that the app window gets the focus, but as soon as a dialog pops up it grabs the focus. Until now we couldn't solve this problem reliably, maybe we find a solution, but I guess, if time allows we will replace the status dialogs with a status bar in the next release. This should work around the problem.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Focus stealing nightmare

Postby jamnique » Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm

jamnique Sun May 29, 2011 2:56 pm
Thank you for a fast reply abstrax, i was afraid that was the case. I guess i will get a second monitor, should have done it a long time ago anyway. Good job on 2.46b by the way, it's the most stable release so far.
Intel Core2Quad 9200 / 4 GB OCZ / Gainward 460 2GB
jamnique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Softimage XSI