Learn SI or Octane?

Forums: Learn SI or Octane?
Autodesk Softimage XSI (Developed by Face)

Learn SI or Octane?

Postby enthewhite » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am

enthewhite Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am
Hello all, new octane and softimage user here (old 3ds max and vray user). I have a question for which I hope there is a simple answer:

In general, will I be setting up materials, maps, cameras, etc. in Softimage and then letting octane just do the rendering? Or will I be setting up more in Octane? If this is just another user preference issue, anybody have a preference to share? I guess I am mainly asking so i can know if I need to learn the ins and outs of texturing and render setup in Softimage or in Octane.

Ian
Win 7 65 | Geforce GTX580 | Hex 4.33GHz | 16GB
enthewhite
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Learn SI or Octane?

Postby t_3 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 am

t_3 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 am
enthewhite wrote:Hello all, new octane and softimage user here (old 3ds max and vray user). I have a question for which I hope there is a simple answer:

In general, will I be setting up materials, maps, cameras, etc. in Softimage and then letting octane just do the rendering? Or will I be setting up more in Octane? If this is just another user preference issue, anybody have a preference to share? I guess I am mainly asking so i can know if I need to learn the ins and outs of texturing and render setup in Softimage or in Octane.

Ian

if you use the current exporter, existing xsi materials will be converted into basic octane materials. as octane materials are based on specific physically correct parameters, like any unbiased renderer needs to use, you need to tweak or even rebuild those materials in octane's material editor to utilize the full power of octane. the same is ~ true for lights as octane doesn't know artificial light types like point or spot lights.

ps: if you search the forum for tutorials, you'll find a nice series "radiant" has done, which explain a lot regarding these points (and they are basically the same, no matter what 3d host you use)...
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Return to Autodesk Softimage XSI