Multiple references of the same file BATCH Render problem

Forums: Multiple references of the same file BATCH Render problem
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Multiple references of the same file BATCH Render problem

Postby GlenDeeplocal » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:59 pm

GlenDeeplocal Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:59 pm
I am have trouble trying to batch render with a scene that I am referencing the same file more than once. I have tested the scene many times. It will batch render fine as long as the same file is only referenced once. As soon as a load the other reference in the batch render fails. It renders correctly if I just render in the render window. :?
I have tried importing the references. Didn't work.
I have even tried making a copy of the file I am referencing and referencing that file. Didn't work.
I have tried changing the shared node settings. Didn't work. :o
Is there any thing I am not doing right?
Please help me!!!
GlenDeeplocal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Multiple references of the same file BATCH Render problem

Postby BK » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 am

BK Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 am
GlenDeeplocal wrote:I am have trouble trying to batch render with a scene that I am referencing the same file more than once. I have tested the scene many times. It will batch render fine as long as the same file is only referenced once. As soon as a load the other reference in the batch render fails. It renders correctly if I just render in the render window. :?
I have tried importing the references. Didn't work.
I have even tried making a copy of the file I am referencing and referencing that file. Didn't work.
I have tried changing the shared node settings. Didn't work. :o
Is there any thing I am not doing right?
Please help me!!!

Hi GlenDeeplocal,

Thanks for the post.

Maybe the issue is not related to Maya file referencing.
Would you please share the error message from the Script editor and the file if possible?

Both Commandline and the GUI render works fine using the latest stable plugin!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby fantome » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 pm

fantome Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 pm
batch render is a nightmare, i did 2 commercial project with maya + octane, and i also got some erratic / randomic / chaotic problem with batch rendering.
Each time i was not able to clearly identify the problem , the fact that you don't have access to any in depth verbose info is also not helpful.
if you are under a tight deadline and need to make things work , you have only 2 options :

Option A :
- rebuild step by step your scene , test the batch render -> then add an elements -> test the batch render etc .... until you encounter what the problem is.
- i would start by deleting all shaders and just keep geometry + lights and see if it works.
- if things works it might be due to the fact that octane can't find a texture map, and thus refuse to start.
- but each time i wasn't able to really rationalize the pb.
- i lost 2 days on my last show, bleeding to fix the pb on a scene that can't batch render.

Option B :
- stay away of maya batch render and export to octane standalone

I think this is not an OTOY problem but more an autodesk problem cause i have batch render nightmare on other engine like mental ray in the past.
Sorry to sound a bit negative, but again i have do 2 commercial under short deadline on octane + maya and each time one of the shots won't batch render.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby GlenDeeplocal » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm

GlenDeeplocal Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:41 pm
I'm thinking you are correct. It seems like the issue could very well be Maya and not Octane. I'm going to have to try to isolate the problem some other way. It seems like it could be a naming conflict and that using the option to force maya to use multiple instances of the same shader is not working the way it should. :shock:
GlenDeeplocal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 am

BK Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 am
GlenDeeplocal wrote:I'm thinking you are correct. It seems like the issue could very well be Maya and not Octane. I'm going to have to try to isolate the problem some other way. It seems like it could be a naming conflict and that using the option to force maya to use multiple instances of the same shader is not working the way it should. :shock:

Hi GlenDeeplocal,

Fantome suggestion is better, using ORBX for final output. You could also use Otoy's RNDR once ORBX is exported.
or a workaround could be using Render Sequences from the Render menu!

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya