Batch Rendering with Render Nodes Help

Forums: Batch Rendering with Render Nodes Help
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Batch Rendering with Render Nodes Help

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 am
I'm having issues getting batch rendering to use our render nodes, from within maya. IPR works fine in utilizing all of our nodes and batch rendering works fine locally. I exported to standalone and it used the render nodes correctly from there when batch rendering. I'm on the 2020.2.3 plugin and standalone and maya 2020

It appears that the scene is being transferred fine to the node, as the GPU Ram usage on the nodes will go up to 8gb when trying to batch (and dropping back down when render is stopped) but monitoring GPU usage, it never goes up while rendering. I'll send you the scene and render log from an attempted batch render.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Batch Rendering with Render Nodes Help

Postby BK » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 am

BK Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:I'm having issues getting batch rendering to use our render nodes, from within maya. IPR works fine in utilizing all of our nodes and batch rendering works fine locally. I exported to standalone and it used the render nodes correctly from there when batch rendering. I'm on the 2020.2.3 plugin and standalone and maya 2020

It appears that the scene is being transferred fine to the node, as the GPU Ram usage on the nodes will go up to 8gb when trying to batch (and dropping back down when render is stopped) but monitoring GPU usage, it never goes up while rendering. I'll send you the scene and render log from an attempted batch render.

Hi Itsallgoode9,

Thanks again for the post.
Are you using the Batch render and IPR process at the same time with the Network render enabled?

Unfortunately, the Octane Render node can only have one active connection at one time, so we have to make sure which mode we use[IPR or Batch].

Once the Batch kicks in from Maya GUI, then we are supposed to disable the Network render from the settings.
This would let the Maya Batch render keep the connection with the Octane Render node.

Please find the details here viewtopic.php?p=349033#p349033
Also, unzip the *octane_daemon_log_flag.txt* inside the installed Render node folder for details!
octane_daemon_log_flags.zip
(264 Bytes) Downloaded 261 times

Hope you will find it useful!

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JimStar » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:33 am

JimStar Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:33 am
BK wrote:Once the Batch kicks in from Maya GUI, then we are supposed to disable the Network render from the settings.

Actually not necessary if the "Steal daemons" and "All available slaves for batch" are enabled. "Use all available GPUs at full power" could be usable too for batch sessions.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:19 am

itsallgoode9 Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:19 am
Thanks for the responses guys. I just tried that--both methods--and it still didn't render on the nodes. It was the same behavior as before where VRAM usage went up but no render started. There's no error messages in the daemon window or render log or anything.

In the interim, can you also help me with how to correctly export and render an animated alembic in octane, so I can render that from stand alone for the time being? Right now, I can't figure out how correctly export/import to get the mesh to animate--only the camera will. thx
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:43 pm

itsallgoode9 Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:43 pm
OMG, I finally got it to work. I reread your reply and realized you have to START a batch render from Maya, THEN disable network render, AFTER the batch has started.:o

Ummmmmmmmmm, is there any way to prioritize fixing that? :? That's pretty dang buggy, if you ask me--like, there's NO way in the world a new user would ever figure that out. Without rewriting the code, couldn't it just do that behind the scenes of the GUI, considering it's just unchecking a checkbox in the correct order?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:32 pm

JimStar Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:32 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:I reread your reply and realized you have to START a batch render from Maya, THEN disable network render, AFTER the batch has started.:o

JimStar wrote:
BK wrote:Once the Batch kicks in from Maya GUI, then we are supposed to disable the Network render from the settings.

Actually not necessary if the "Steal daemons" and "All available slaves for batch" are enabled. "Use all available GPUs at full power" could be usable too for batch sessions.

Are you sure the "Steal daemons", "All available slaves for batch" and "Use all available GPUs at full power" were enabled? It must be NOT NECESSARY to disable the network settings manually, you only need to enable these settings in the scene.

If with all these settings set up properly it still doesn't work for you without disabling the network rendering - then this is already not a plugin's issue. This would be a complain to the engine team - because the "Steal daemons" is the engine's functionality, and it must connect the batch process to any daemons no matter if they are already used by any other process, there is no need to manually disable the network rendering for that. The plugin has no way to control the other process' connections to daemons other than using the "steal daemons" functionality provided by the engine's API. If that "steal daemons" API stopped working for some reason - it is some engine issue, not a plugin's issue.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:03 pm

itsallgoode9 Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:03 pm
Hey Jimstar, I'm triple checking this today. It appeared that disabling network rendering after starting the batch was the only thing that would let it use nodes but it could've just appeared that way (of course it could've been a fluke, and actually had no affect on anything, as you mentioned).

Upon looking I'm 100% sure all of the setting you listed were checked and working on this btch render again today. If there's any further issue I'll follow up with the engine team. thanks for you help so far.
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby seangoodsell » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:11 am

seangoodsell Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:11 am
can you batch render with different frame rates?
seangoodsell
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya