Max Smooth Angle Setting and Vertex Displace--a lesson

Forums: Max Smooth Angle Setting and Vertex Displace--a lesson
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Max Smooth Angle Setting and Vertex Displace--a lesson

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm

itsallgoode9 Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm
I've been working with a lot of converted CAD models and Vertex Displacements lately. At first I thought vertex displacement was broken due to HEAVY artifacts in tringles but I eventually found the setting of "Max Smooth Angle" was causing the problem. My question is....

..This setting isn't even mentioned in the documentation anywhere (that i found) and is in quite obscure location to even run across it accidentally. As well, it completely breaks vertex displacement with default settings in some instances. Is there a reason for its default setting? As well, is there a reason for its obscurity? Would this make more sense to be a material setting within the vertex displacement node?

I'm guessing that default setting of 91 works for organic models, but anything hard edged, with bad geo (aka ANY CAD model) it seems to completely break and there are zero clues as to why. I feel like the current implementation of this setting has scary protentional for MAJOR headaches for people who don't randomly know about it (like it did me.).

SmothingAngle.jpg

For others who are running into the issue, here's the location:
maxSmoothAngle_Location.jpg
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya