Volume Rays

Forums: Volume Rays
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Volume Rays

Postby mverta » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 am

mverta Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:35 am
What is the process for making godrays without a VDB file?

We have added an Octane VDB, we have encompassed the scene and camera within the "dummy" boundary. We are using a small Plane light, but we are not able to see volume rays around objects no matter which parameters we use.

Thanks,

_Mike
mverta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volume Rays

Postby hgarrou » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:22 pm

hgarrou Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:22 pm
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mverta » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:23 pm

mverta Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:23 pm
That's Cinema 4D, whose Octane integration is infinitely superior to Maya's.

In Maya, we don't have those controls - at least not in any way laid out or labelled or organized like C4D's. Try following that tutorial in Maya.

_Mike
mverta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hgarrou » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm

hgarrou Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:02 pm
I used this very tutorial to figure it out in Maya a number of months ago worked great for me. I saved it out as a template file and imported to start with all the time. I'm sure you can figure it out Glad I could help
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mverta » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:53 am

mverta Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:53 am
We are simple men and not as intelligent as you.

Perhaps in addition to your words of encouragement, you might provide some actual guidance. I'm sure we're not the only ones who would appreciate it!
mverta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:52 am

BK Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:52 am
mverta wrote:We are simple men and not as intelligent as you.

Perhaps in addition to your words of encouragement, you might provide some actual guidance. I'm sure we're not the only ones who would appreciate it!

Hi Mverta,

Thanks for the post. please check out OctaneRender for Maya Masterclass tutorials and let us know if you have any further questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMoCxZ- ... neUniverse

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby hgarrou » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:12 am

hgarrou Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:12 am
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I somehow hurt your feelings. Sorry if I did. I was just offering help.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:23 am

BK Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:23 am
hgarrou wrote:Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I somehow hurt your feelings. Sorry if I did. I was just offering help.

hey Hgrrou, Oh no! we always appreciate your help!!

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mverta » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 am

mverta Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 am
BK wrote:
Hi Mverta,

Thanks for the post. please check out OctaneRender for Maya Masterclass tutorials and let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

BK -

This tutorial shows a process completely different than the C4D one. In the process you sent, we create a standard cube and assign a Specular Material to it, with a Scattering Medium plugged into the Medium channel. It specifies that the camera should be OUTSIDE this cube, while the light source INSIDE it.

In the C4D tutorial, they create something called a "Fog Volume" which has different parameters and BOTH the camera and light source should be within this volume. It was our assumption that Octane VDB in Maya was Maya's equivalent to C4D's Fog Volume. Your tutorial suggests it is NOT the same, and is not as powerful, because the camera cannot be within the volume, unlike in C4D.

Further, when actually trying the process in the Maya tutorial, our cube volume is affected by all lights in the scene, so it doesn't create god rays for just the light source we want it to. It just ends up as a scattering-filled cube in the scene, with some more intense rays within from the light source.

Please clarify this for us.

Thank you!

_Mike
mverta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 pm

BK Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 pm
mverta wrote:
BK wrote:
Hi Mverta,

Cheers

BK -

This tutorial shows a process completely different than the C4D one. In the process you sent, we create a standard cube and assign a Specular Material to it, with a Scattering Medium plugged into the Medium channel. It specifies that the camera should be OUTSIDE this cube, while the light source INSIDE it.

In the C4D tutorial, they create something called a "Fog Volume" which has different parameters and BOTH the camera and light source should be within this volume. It was our assumption that Octane VDB in Maya was Maya's equivalent to C4D's Fog Volume. Your tutorial suggests it is NOT the same, and is not as powerful, because the camera cannot be within the volume, unlike in C4D.

Further, when actually trying the process in the Maya tutorial, our cube volume is affected by all lights in the scene, so it doesn't create god rays for just the light source we want it to. It just ends up as a scattering-filled cube in the scene, with some more intense rays within from the light source.

Please clarify this for us.

Thank you!

_Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explaination.

The "Volume Fog" in C4d is called "Fluids" in Maya where you can use the voxels as Static or Dynamic.
This would allow BOTH Light and Camera inside the Fluid container.

Here is a quick example to refer:
MayaFluidGodRay.zip
(10.95 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

And Octane Spotlight sample here
OctaneSpotlight.zip
(12.33 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
However, the same rule applies from the tutorial, the camera needs to be outside.

Few more Octane Volume samples can be found in this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63611&p=324833&hilit=maya+godrays#p324833

Hope you will find it useful!!

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya