Texture Not at Proper Resolution in Image Node

Forums: Texture Not at Proper Resolution in Image Node
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Texture Not at Proper Resolution in Image Node

Postby bollella » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm

bollella Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Just started with Octane X PR1. MacBook Pro 2018 +eGPU. When I select a texture file with a resolution of 2kx2k for an Octane Image Texture node the file seems to be at about 512x512 resolution. Big square pixels. I have tried different file types, jpg, tif, and png. I have tried this in very simple new test scenes.

Might be missing something simple, I am new to Octane and relatively new to 3d modeling.

Thanks,
Greg
bollella
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Texture Not at Proper Resolution in Image Node

Postby BK » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 am

BK Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 am
bollella wrote:Just started with Octane X PR1. MacBook Pro 2018 +eGPU. When I select a texture file with a resolution of 2kx2k for an Octane Image Texture node the file seems to be at about 512x512 resolution. Big square pixels. I have tried different file types, jpg, tif, and png. I have tried this in very simple new test scenes.

Might be missing something simple, I am new to Octane and relatively new to 3d modeling.

Thanks,
Greg

Hi Bollella,

thank you so much for testing our PR1 release.

We are unable to replicate this.

Would you please share the simple scene via PM or here?

Thank you again!!
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JimStar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am

JimStar Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am
bollella
Seems to me you are talking about textures in Maya's native viewport, not in Octane's render-result. In this case it's all as expected.
For the viewport-preview there are special resolution-settings for textures in Octane globals - but it would be a bad idea to have it set too high, 'cause a lot of resources would be spend to be generating all the "quick" previews for all the hi-res textures for Maya's viewport. These are generated just for a rough-preview pursposes in Maya's native viewport, if you want an exact Octane-rendered look - you can use e.g. "Octane" viewport mode, or IPR.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bollella » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:29 pm

bollella Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:29 pm
JimStar,
I see what you are saying. I have attached an image of an object in the Viewport 2.0, Octane IPR window, the UV editor, and the nodes in the Hypershade. The image in the IPR window does indeed have the correct resolution. This is good. My systems isn't the fastest and I tend to do a lot of work in the Maya viewport. I see that Octane is much faster at rendering and understand that I could do more work in the Octane viewport or IPR.

However, for certain projects, I also do a lot of work in the UV editor to match the UV shell to the texture boundaries. I understand this is probably best done in a 3d painting utility like Substance Painter and I do a lot there. Sometimes though the UV editor is the last resort.

So, please let me know the settings in the global configuration parameters so when necessary I can bring the resolution in the UV editor up to that of the image itself.

I just hadn't run into this reduction in resolution for UV editor and Maya viewport before and I did not understand what was going on.

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me!

Cheers,
Greg
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 10.16.07.png
bollella
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya