Batch Render coming to Maya ?

Forums: Batch Render coming to Maya ?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Batch Render coming to Maya ?

Postby ricoholmes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am

ricoholmes Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 am
Hello folks,

Relatively new to Octane, we're in the process of evaluating whether we can switch after 6Years of VRay.
Main scene for current project translated well after less than a day of material/light etc conversion.
Looks great, renders in 3mins vs 30min in VRay All good. Looks Great in IPR on every frame test.

Until we went to animate. Oh my lord.

Maya>Export all>Octane various and every combination. Varying degrees of failure, Alembic nodes in Maya being the biggest issue apparently.

Dream Scenario right now would be to batch render from Maya directly, (It looks perfect in the IPR!) but this facility doesn't exist in 3.08.1 - 12.46 RC2
Where do we stand on this ?
ricoholmes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Batch Render coming to Maya ?

Postby calus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am

calus Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am
ricoholmes wrote:Hello folks,

Relatively new to Octane, we're in the process of evaluating whether we can switch after 6Years of VRay.
Main scene for current project translated well after less than a day of material/light etc conversion.
Looks great, renders in 3mins vs 30min in VRay All good. Looks Great in IPR on every frame test.

Maya>Export all>Octane various and every combination. Varying degrees of failure, Alembic nodes in Maya being the biggest issue apparently.

Dream Scenario right now would be to batch render from Maya directly, (It looks perfect in the IPR!) but this facility doesn't exist in 3.08.1 - 12.46 RC2

Right, rendering and exporting animation is a mess at the moment in the plugin.
Batch render can work but is very confusing as it is not consistent at all with interactive render....

When "frames to pre-cache = 0" interactive render reload all objects each time you change frame,
but for batch render you need to set "animator data" to "force load" for all animated transforms, animated shapes, and animated camera (on the camera shape attribute),
else animation is not updated while batch rendering frames.

When "frames to pre-cache >0", if "animator data" is set to "automatic" (as in default for new transform) it can work but still buggy/incomplete ... doesn't work with infinite animation curve for example.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricoholmes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm

ricoholmes Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm
Calus, thank you very much for that reply. It really helped de-mystify a lot of the process. Very very much appreciated!

I did indeed set the "animator data" to "forced load" as part of the many and various attempts to export into standalone. When we were finally able to get the alembics working to a degree (not wholly) I realized other issues had come along for the ride. Materials suddenly not being assigned to a few of them (even thought the materials were in the scene in standalone) etc etc.

Understandably the scene was a bit complex to throw at Octane in one go (it's a scene with a lot of meshed fluids etc that we've been working on for a couple of months) , but the frustration comes from having it all working great in Maya, only to find it was a complete mess in translation. I understand that the exporter isn't production ready, but dammit, it works great inside Maya. All we really needed for this stuff was to hit the Maya "Render Sequence" button. Instead we run face first into a concrete wall of exporter issues.

I might add, that as a "new" customer it really wasn't at all apparent how much of a beta mess the current plugin is.
Having tried the official Demo (3.8) - one then assumes it's the same version you should run with when you invest in licenses.
We were completely infatuated by the demo and workflow right up until the ridiculous export mess. So close! Yet so far away from being usable.

Calus - you're obviously a hero on these boards - I really must say thank you again at least for your help and advice :)

/RH
ricoholmes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 am

BK Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 am
ricoholmes wrote:Hello folks,

Hello Ricoholmes,

My apology for the late response. Would you please share us the difficulty you are facing during animate?

As you know, Octane is fully unbiased PathTrace renderer leveraging the power from GPUs, so the workflow is slightly different in comparison with other renderers.

It is unfortunate that Octane Render Alembic feature in release candidate build 3.08.1 - 12.46 RC2 has a known crash issue, however, this would be resolved in the next release.

As a workaround, please try exporting as an Octane Render Animated Scene (ORBX) to export your animation then use the Unpack option from the Octane Standalone.
This would separate the "Alembic" animation file from your scene also will save the project as Octane .ocs.

[ Play Quicktime file ] OrbxAnimationExport.mp4 [ 18.7 MiB | Viewed 5363 times ]

2018-06-25 16_55_38-A__WS_BK_Files_My Documents_Test_maya_REFACTORED_1246_Orbx.orbx - OctaneRender 3.png
Unpack Package
2018-06-25 16_55_38-A__WS_BK_Files_My Documents_Test_maya_REFACTORED_1246_Orbx.orbx - OctaneRender 3.png (15.44 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ricoholmes » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 am

ricoholmes Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 am
Hi BK3D and thank you for the response !

Much appreciated, though I won't have the time to tinker again in the coming week or so (the usual deadline pressures) as we've had to return to the VRay setup to finish the project.

I do, however look forward to future builds to see whether it's viable as a production ready pipeline then. As I mention, it's a pity as, we seemed so close - all it really needed for us at this point was for Maya Batch rendering to function.
ricoholmes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 am

BK Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 am
ricoholmes wrote:Hi BK3D and thank you for the response !

Much appreciated, though I won't have the time to tinker again in the coming week or so (the usual deadline pressures) as we've had to return to the VRay setup to finish the project.

I do, however look forward to future builds to see whether it's viable as a production ready pipeline then. As I mention, it's a pity as, we seemed so close - all it really needed for us at this point was for Maya Batch rendering to function.

Hi Ricoholmes,

Thank you so much for testing the plugin and we wish you good luck with the usual deadline.
Sure, we are working towards having a stable build, hopefully soon.

It is indeed really sad, would you please share the scene through PM?
It would be helpful for us to investigate/debug. All the copyrights stuff can be deleted or replaced with a primitive geo.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ricoholmes » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am

ricoholmes Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am
Back to the original purpose of the thread; the question of whether batch rendering will be available in Maya.

Is there any particular reason we can't render sequences from within Maya ?
ricoholmes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 pm

BK Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:49 pm
ricoholmes wrote:Back to the original purpose of the thread; the question of whether batch rendering will be available in Maya.

Is there any particular reason we can't render sequences from within Maya ?

Hello Ricoholmes,

We do support both command line and the batch rendering through Maya. Would you please share render setup info or the error messages for us investigate the issue?
Octane for Maya should render correctly as long as we have the Window's environment variable Paths are setup..

Regards
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ricoholmes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:11 am

ricoholmes Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:11 am
Hi BK, and thank you for getting back on this.
Error sequence is as follows:

(New in Maya 2018) [renderview button>Render Sequence]
Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/renderSequence.mel line 26: Renderer "OctaneRender" does not provide a sequence render procedure

Note the "New in Maya 2018" Batch rendering is now legacy/unavailable
ricoholmes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 am

BK Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 am
ricoholmes wrote:Hi BK, and thank you for getting back on this.
Error sequence is as follows:

(New in Maya 2018) [renderview button>Render Sequence]
Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/renderSequence.mel line 26: Renderer "OctaneRender" does not provide a sequence render procedure

Note the "New in Maya 2018" Batch rendering is now legacy/unavailable

Thank you, Ricoholmes for the steps to reproduce.
Unfortunately, Maya Render sequence option is yet to support. We have created a new feature ticket to add this ASAP.

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya