VDB gradient

Forums: VDB gradient
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

VDB gradient

Postby abeoctane » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 pm

abeoctane Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 pm
Hi, I am working with fume fx in maya and trying to render and open VDB secuence with octane, I wish to make the smoke colored with a gradient, I am trying to connect a octane volume gradient to the absorption ramp of a volume medium, but it make the smoke black and shaped like a brick, does anybody know how can I do that?, how can I make my smoke colored with various colors, thanks, I apriciate your help.
abeoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VDB gradient

Postby BK » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:36 am

BK Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:36 am
abeoctane wrote:Hi, I am working with fume fx in maya and trying to render and open VDB secuence with octane, I wish to make the smoke colored with a gradient, I am trying to connect a octane volume gradient to the absorption ramp of a volume medium, but it make the smoke black and shaped like a brick, does anybody know how can I do that?, how can I make my smoke colored with various colors, thanks, I apriciate your help.

Hi Abeoctane,

Would you please share a sample file with a single FumeFx VDB attached, so we can take a look at the settings?

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BK » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 am

BK Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 am
Hi Abeoctane,

Here is quick example scene, Vdb exported from fumeFx demo using Octane Volume gradient in Absorption Ramp and Emission Ramp. Let us know if you have any question.

Please note: the VDBs are baked in a very low grid just to fit the max file size.

VDBGradient.7z
(2.73 MiB) Downloaded 325 times

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abeoctane » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:06 am

abeoctane Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:06 am
Hi BK, thank you very much, I will try the scene you created, I think the gradient setup in octane for maya is a bit confusing to me, thanks again. :D
abeoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:37 am

BK Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:37 am
abeoctane wrote:Hi BK, thank you very much, I will try the scene you created, I think the gradient setup in octane for maya is a bit confusing to me, thanks again. :D

Hi Abeoctane, Thank you !! Hope you will find the sample useful.

Jim has explained to us that Maya API's native UI gradient is not flexible enough to support Octane data type, however, he is happy to look into it for any possible workaround later when we have a stable refactored version. So, fingers crossed ;)
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya