Refactoring Update?

Forums: Refactoring Update?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Refactoring Update?

Postby yfripp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 am

yfripp Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 am
Hi Dev Team,

Is there any updates on the progress of refactoring of the Octane for Maya plugin.

I am currently evaluating the rendering pipeline and wanted to get an indication of how the update is going and how it is addressing the shortcomings of the current plug-in. And whether or not it is even worth considering using Octane in Production in the future (which for me in it's current form it is not).

In Particular
- How is the implementation of shaders being completed? is it using maya nodes i.e file nodes, place2D transforms etc. or is it still using custom nodes?
- Has performance issues with mayas render view for IPR been addressed?
- Has anything been done to simplify the way nodes are attached in shading networks, i.e can we now use standard ways of working with Maya such as MMB drag a node into the channel it should attach to in the channel box and work?
- Have ORBX Proxy items been implemented?
- Is it working with X-Gen?
- Is it working with Yeti/Ornatrix for hair and Fur?
- Is it working with Golaem for crowd simulations?
- Is it working with vertex map data for Vector Motion Blur (bifrost, realflow)
- Is it working with native FumeFX grids either in VDB or the native fumeFX data type?
- has the VDB grid in a scene slow down been addressed? (A hidden VDB volume grid still gets calculated in the BG causing the whole scene to run really slow)

Is there a tentative release date for the refactored plugin?

Is there a timeline for the implementation of these items? I know over the years most of these have already been requested at one time or another but unfortunately still no implementation.

I've been holding on to Octane for a very long time waiting for it to be useable in production (for me) and every time I have tried to use it I always run into something that doesn't work for the project I am on. I've been able to use standalone for some simple scene setups and do really love the speed and look that the Octane Render Core has, but this is not a workable render pipeline for large jobs (multi seq/shot film & TV series work).

Looking at the list above you may say that I am asking to much however this would just be feature parity with Redshift, Arnold, V-Ray & Renderman. V-Ray being currently the renderer we use in Production.

I am looking forward to your Response,
Thanks
Juri
Windows 10 | i7 4770K | Titan X | 32gb
yfripp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Refactoring Update?

Postby BK » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 am

BK Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 am
yfripp wrote:Hi Dev Team,

Is there any updates on the progress of refactoring of the Octane for Maya plugin.

I am currently evaluating the rendering pipeline and wanted to get an indication of how the update is going and how it is addressing the shortcomings of the current plug-in. And whether or not it is even worth considering using Octane in Production in the future (which for me in its current form it is not).

In Particular
- How is the implementation of shaders being completed? is it using maya nodes i.e file nodes, place2D transforms etc. or is it still using custom nodes?
- Has performance issues with mayas render view for IPR been addressed?
- Has anything been done to simplify the way nodes are attached in shading networks, i.e can we now use standard ways of working with Maya such as MMB drag a node into the channel it should attach to in the channel box and work?
- Have ORBX Proxy items been implemented?
- Is it working with X-Gen?
- Is it working with Yeti/Ornatrix for hair and Fur?
- Is it working with Golaem for crowd simulations?
- Is it working with vertex map data for Vector Motion Blur (bifrost, realflow)
- Is it working with native FumeFX grids either in VDB or the native fumeFX data type?
- has the VDB grid in a scene slow down been addressed? (A hidden VDB volume grid still gets calculated in the BG causing the whole scene to run really slow)

Is there a tentative release date for the refactored plugin?

Is there a timeline for the implementation of these items? I know over the years most of these have already been requested at one time or another but unfortunately still no implementation.

I've been holding on to Octane for a very long time waiting for it to be useable in production (for me) and every time I have tried to use it I always run into something that doesn't work for the project I am on. I've been able to use standalone for some simple scene setups and do really love the speed and look that the Octane Render Core has, but this is not a workable render pipeline for large jobs (multi seq/shot film & TV series work).

Looking at the list above you may say that I am asking to much however this would just be feature parity with Redshift, Arnold, V-Ray & Renderman. V-Ray being currently the renderer we use in Production.

I am looking forward to your Response,
Thanks
Juri

Hi, Juri,

Thank you so much for this post.
As an update, we are still working on refactoring the plugin and doing our best to deliver it as soon as possible.

All your queries have been forwarded to our developer.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya