Volumetric Lighting workflow - Octane for Maya Plugin

Forums: Volumetric Lighting workflow - Octane for Maya Plugin
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Volumetric Lighting workflow - Octane for Maya Plugin

Postby gusmendonca » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 am

gusmendonca Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 am
Hi there.
I just purchased Octane for Maya 2017 Plugin and I'm trying to figure out the volumetric workflow.
Ultimately I'm trying to figure out two related topics. One is how to create volumetric fog for large exterior and interior scenes that can be affected by both sunlight and artificial lights giving the scene strong depth cues.
My second goal is to create volumetric lighting with artificial lights without the need of a sun and sky system that can create god rays.

Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Attached is a reference board I have created with details about what I'm trying to accomplish as well as my system specs.
Thank you in advance!

Gusmendonca /// Senior Freelance Concept Artist
http://www.brushonfire.com
Attachments
Octane_Goals.jpg
gusmendonca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volumetric Lighting workflow - Octane for Maya Plugin

Postby Renart » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 am

Renart Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 am
Jama is using images with a perspective projection in the plane that emit the light to have a projector effect. He plays with some random images and UV transform to have interesting colors in his fog. (I know because I showed him how to do haha, we are working together :) )
The volumetric is just a cube with a specular material and a medium inside (the camera has to be outside of this cube). Using an image to cast the light will give you free god ray effect because the ray of shadow will come the image and not geometries (not real shadows) so it's very quick to render. Or a simple VDB.
Renart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Renart » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am

Renart Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am
Renart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 am

BK Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 am
Hi guys,

Here are few more Maya example files attached. Basically, the workflow is similar to Calus, all we have to add is Octane Volume/Scatter medium node in the environment medium to scatter fog.

We can use the Sunsky example to achieve the Goal#1.

Please check the Medium Radius in Octane Sunsky node, Scattering value and the Scale which is density in the Octane volume medium node.

We have 2 files for Goal#2,

a) In the volumetric god rays scene file, we use sunsky's texture environment to scatter Volumetric fog in the environment.
The same method as Goal#1 applies for this example as well, except we have to add another geometry light. And the Maya ramp texture is used to control the light angle and penumbra.

b) We used Octane Specular material to texture the window's glass and then enabled the "Fake shadows" option to create the Godrays effect.

Also, please check your scene scale because this will reflect the render results from the example scenes. Hope you find this useful :)

Cheers !!
Attachments
Volumetric_examples.7z
(106.6 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gusmendonca » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:16 pm

gusmendonca Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:16 pm
Guys, thank you all so much for pitching in here. I really appreciate it!
I actually got some pretty good results with the medium Scattering. I also played with black scatter and emissive color properties that gives you really solid Depth Cues and it is super fast to render.

I'm attaching a little experiment image here and once I have perfected the method I will post a video of the process.
Thank you all once again and if anyone has any other methods please feel free to share. I'm sure it will be helpful.
All the best!

Gus Mendonca
www.brushonfire.com
Attachments
Night_Fog_01_Optimized.png
gusmendonca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 am

BK Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:20 am
gusmendonca wrote:Guys, thank you all so much for pitching in here. I really appreciate it!
I actually got some pretty good results with the medium Scattering. I also played with black scatter and emissive color properties that gives you really solid Depth Cues and it is super fast to render.

I'm attaching a little experiment image here and once I have perfected the method I will post a video of the process.
Thank you all once again and if anyone has any other methods please feel free to share. I'm sure it will be helpful.
All the best!

Gus Mendonca

Looking Great !! :)

Sure, it would be helpful to have a video tutorial.

Also, play around with the Medium radius of your environment and the Density Scale(Scale parameter) on Volume/scatter node. The Max diffuse depth and max specular depth for ray bounce from the render setting dialog.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gusmendonca » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am

gusmendonca Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:54 am
Hey BK, yes those parameters make all the difference. Thanks for reinforcing that.
I will play around with those render settings that you mentioned too and see what the results are.
Thanks for the tip!

Gus Mendonca /// Senior Freelance Concept Artist
gusmendonca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 am

BK Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:26 am
gusmendonca wrote:Hey BK, yes those parameters make all the difference. Thanks for reinforcing that.
I will play around with those render settings that you mentioned too and see what the results are.
Thanks for the tip!

Gus Mendonca /// Senior Freelance Concept Artist

NP, thank you !! :D
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya