Mix Texture - Displacement

Forums: Mix Texture - Displacement
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Mix Texture - Displacement

Postby jessestormer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:07 pm

jessestormer Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:07 pm
I've searched high and low for a solution for combining two textures for a displacement -- to plug into a mix material. I'm seeing that mix texture doesn't work with displacement -- this seems so strange, because I know the correct information is coming out of it and functions for diffuse.
Is there a node that will rasterize the information coming out of the mix texture node? The mix texture definitely works; I can test it in a diffuse slot and it's visible.

The problem is -- I have 3 tileable landscape materials, and I'm blending between them with a splat map. However, I have no way to blend the displacement maps -- this seems like such an odd issue.

Thanks,

JEsse
jessestormer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Mix Texture - Displacement

Postby BK » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 am

BK Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 am
jessestormer wrote:I've searched high and low for a solution for combining two textures for a displacement -- to plug into a mix material. I'm seeing that mix texture doesn't work with displacement -- this seems so strange, because I know the correct information is coming out of it and functions for diffuse.
Is there a node that will rasterize the information coming out of the mix texture node? The mix texture definitely works; I can test it in a diffuse slot and it's visible.

The problem is -- I have 3 tileable landscape materials, and I'm blending between them with a splat map. However, I have no way to blend the displacement maps -- this seems like such an odd issue.

Thanks,

JEsse

Hi Jesse,

Octane displacement node can read only a single texture map in a shading network and cannot be mixed mix texture node. As a workaround please blend the textures using photoshop and save as a texture.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

itsallgoode9 Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm
BK wrote:
jessestormer wrote:I've searched high and low for a solution for combining two textures for a displacement -- to plug into a mix material. I'm seeing that mix texture doesn't work with displacement -- this seems so strange, because I know the correct information is coming out of it and functions for diffuse.

Thanks,

JEsse

Hi Jesse,

Octane displacement node can read only a single texture map in a shading network and cannot be mixed mix texture node. As a workaround please blend the textures using photoshop and save as a texture.

Will this ever be on the roadmap for Octane? Users have been asking for this feature for years.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 am

BK Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:
BK wrote:

Thanks,

JEsse

Hi Jesse,

Will this ever be on the roadmap for Octane? Users have been asking for this feature for years.

Hi itsallgoode9,

Thanks so much for bringing this up. We plan on fixing the displacement before implementing Octane displacement mix node and definitely, we have this feature on our roadmap.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya