Hardware shaders for Maya

Forums: Hardware shaders for Maya
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Hardware shaders for Maya

Postby ruthenoid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 pm

ruthenoid Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 pm
Hi Otoy,
could you pls make some hadrware shaders for Maya to at least represent colours (some specularity would be nice as well) in the viewport (not IPR)? Everything looks grey, when using octane shaders. This would make it easier to distinguish which object has which shader etc.

Thank you!
ruthenoid
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Hardware shaders for Maya

Postby calus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 pm

calus Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 pm
ruthenoid wrote:Hi Otoy,
could you pls make some hadrware shaders for Maya to at least represent colours (some specularity would be nice as well) in the viewport (not IPR)? Everything looks grey, when using octane shaders. This would make it easier to distinguish which object has which shader etc.

You must be using the DirectX mode for viewport 2.0, this is completely unsupported by the Maya plugin, and yes everything is just grey in this case.
Opengl mode is supported but the implementation is a joke, colors are flickering all the time, don't support color management, and triggers some really annoying bugs.
Indeed I'm not sure it's really possible to work seriously with the opengl display of the Octane materials,
I workaround this by using DirectX viewport (so yes grey display for everything but no bugs) and I override Octane materials in viewport with Maya materials, with this script:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=52995
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:08 am

Goldorak Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:08 am
I can't speak to the Maya implementation directly, but I am discussing with some of the devs on exploring better rasterized materials/textures for the live Unity scene viewport (using a PBR material baking step which 3.07 should allow us to test- see below). I hope this could be re-used in generic GL/HLSL viewports for other plug-ins if it works well for Unity.

For that to work in 3.07, the goal is to try to capture/cache render target/material/texture output as a generator for another image/texture node (possibly hidden in it's own graph if it's an image buffer) without going to files or breaking the node evaluation system with an infinite loop. If it works, then it can be used as a generic tool to build high level user facing nodes/modules, including optimized and flattened material/texture proxies for rasterized viewports across mant plug-ins that could use this feature.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am

calus Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am
Goldorak wrote:I can't speak to the Maya implementation directly, but I am discussing with some of the devs on exploring better rasterized materials/textures for the live Unity scene viewport (using a PBR material baking step which 3.07 should allow us to test- see below). I hope this could be re-used in generic GL/HLSL viewports for other plug-ins if it works well for Unity.
For that to work in 3.07, the goal is to try to capture/cache render target/material/texture output as a generator for another image/texture node (possibly hidden in it's own graph if it's an image buffer) without going to files or breaking the node evaluation system with an infinite loop. If it works, then it can be used as a generic tool to build high level user facing nodes/modules, including optimized and flattened material/texture proxies for rasterized viewports across mant plug-ins that could use this feature.

:) Yes I saw that in the Unity Topic when you first talked about it, and I immediately hoped that this work can be re-used for the plugins.
Indeed providing a simple GL/HSL shaders is the proper way to implement Material display in the Maya viewport.
but this is not at all the way it's implemented currently in Octane for Maya, it just use an old buggy hack.
Octane material display in Maya viewport needs to be completely re-implemented properly now,
and this is a good example of what I was talking in this post if you missed it :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57250&start=30#p311831
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 am

itsallgoode9 Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 am
it's sad, to the point of being hilarious, that this "feature" had to be specifically requested in the first place. :roll:
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 am

calus Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:14 am
ruthenoid wrote:could you pls make some hadrware shaders for Maya to at least represent colours (some specularity would be nice as well) in the viewport (not IPR)? Everything looks grey, when using octane shaders. This would make it easier to distinguish which object has which shader etc.

Hum I just noticed that Octane Material color and texture display in Maya 2017 plugin 10.19 is also completly broken in viewport 2.0 OPENGL (grey display like in DirectX).
Ruthenoid, were you talking about that ?

Anyway you can still display material colors and textures in the Legacy Viewport.
But be aware that anyway Octane material color and textures display in Maya viewport, is an awful hack that triggers all kind of bugs.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 pm
calus wrote:
ruthenoid wrote:could you pls make some hadrware shaders for Maya to at least represent colours (some specularity would be nice as well) in the viewport (not IPR)? Everything looks grey, when using octane shaders. This would make it easier to distinguish which object has which shader etc.

Hum I just noticed that Octane Material color and texture display in Maya 2017 plugin 10.19 is also completly broken in viewport 2.0 OPENGL (grey display like in DirectX).
Ruthenoid, were you talking about that ?

Anyway you can still display material colors and textures in the Legacy Viewport.
But be aware that anyway Octane material color and textures display in Maya viewport, is an awful hack that triggers all kind of bugs.

Yeah, Octane colors in viewport 2.0 has been broken for a while. I don't know when it started happening but I don't even recall the last time it worked.

Unfortunately, with Maya 2017 being pretty damn buggy itself, the legacy viewport causes its own issues, so i'm always having to switch back and forth between the two when working.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya