Should I upgrade to latest version for Maya?

Forums: Should I upgrade to latest version for Maya?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Should I upgrade to latest version for Maya?

Postby mandance » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:30 am

mandance Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:30 am
Forgive me if this may seem silly. I originally had Octane 1.55 and haven't used it in some time but considering going back to Octane now to the latest version..how worth it is it? Also isn't 4 coming out sometime soon and maybe better to wait? I'd love to hear your thoughts...I mostly do still images, interiors and single mesh designs etc

Also in the Octane roadmap, I noticed something that was part of Octane imager I believe, called ICE but I can't seem to find any info on what that is but the before and after looked amazing so any info on that as well would be great.

One more thing, how are people in general liking the Octane integration into Maya? Thanks so much.
mandance
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Should I upgrade to latest version for Maya?

Postby artfabrik » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 pm

artfabrik Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 pm
Hi,

our C4D guys love Octane and never stopped romanticising with it so I decided to give Octane for maya a try. I heard a lot rumours that said it's not nearly as complete as the cinema version and after 2 days just playing around and reading through the threads here I really have to say that I'm afraid that the maya plugin needs muuuuuchh more love in the future.

Otoy, are you working on a new integration? Do you think you will support Maya native nodes (textures, shaders) in near future?

Hope to hear from you soon
br
artfabrik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mandance » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 am

mandance Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 am
Thanks for the response. I had read a lot about that as well so was hesitant to get the Maya plugin.
Perhaps it's easy enough going from Maya to C4d at this point, or just using standalone. Thanks again!
mandance
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mandance » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16 pm

mandance Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16 pm
I guess one other question I have, to anyone working like this...Is there possibly a way you can still make use of Maya for your scene building, but keep the look dev and materials etc in standalone and just send everything to Maya? Sorry for the noob questions but it's a bit all new to me, thanks!
mandance
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya