Trees / Leaves & Transparency

Forums: Trees / Leaves & Transparency
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Trees / Leaves & Transparency

Postby Timmydog1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Timmydog1984 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 pm
Hello,

I've set up some trees in Octane. I've used the diffuse shader with the albedo texture affecting both the diffuse and transmission inputs, which gives nice results. The shape of each leaf is cut out using a texture in the opacity slot. Unfortunately however, it seems that using an opacity map increases the render time of my scene massively. It's around 15 X faster to render if i remove the opacity texture.

Is there a solution to make this more efficient? Or is the solution just to use huge amounts of geometry to create the leaf shapes? Sadly the trees i'm working on have pine type leaves (lots of needles!), so i fear the geometry count might be massive!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers
Timmydog1984
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Trees / Leaves & Transparency

Postby calus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 am

calus Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 am
Timmydog1984 wrote:I've set up some trees in Octane. I've used the diffuse shader with the albedo texture affecting both the diffuse and transmission inputs, which gives nice results. The shape of each leaf is cut out using a texture in the opacity slot. Unfortunately however, it seems that using an opacity map increases the render time of my scene massively. It's around 15 X faster to render if i remove the opacity texture.

Is there a solution to make this more efficient? Or is the solution just to use huge amounts of geometry to create the leaf shapes? Sadly the trees i'm working on have pine type leaves (lots of needles!), so i fear the geometry count might be massive!

Right, I guess path tracers are much faster to deal with ray intersection for real geometry than for opacity maps.

The more efficient way to deal with leaf is to use detailed geometry instances with no opacity map, fast to render and lightweight.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya