Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Forums: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Postby metaphysique » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 am

metaphysique Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 am
My scene is liquid smooth now. Thanks so much! Jimstar!
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby metaphysique » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:59 pm

metaphysique Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:59 pm
Hello again,

An update on the slow animated textures. While setting the (spp) values to 0 does remove any impact on the viewport, it introduces a LOT of crashing when scrubbing the timeline. I'm working around this by saving if I need to change the frame. The scene updates really slow even at 1px x 1spp but is a bit more stable. Also, hiding the surfaces with the animated materials does not speed anything up. There needs to be a toggle for this feature to completely turn it off and make it stable. We can use the rebuild textures to get a preview and then it should be off. I really feel there's no need for any sense of accurate calculations in the viewport. The swatches, yes.
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:36 pm

JimStar Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:36 pm
If you get any crashes - you need to do a detailed report, with the scene attached and the step-by-step how-to-reproduce description...
The mat/tex preview functionality is slow on the Octane engine level, there is nothing a plugin could do in this regard. Moreover, it is not thread-safe, so the plugin can't even speed it up by doing all the previews in parallel - it is forced to do this in the main thread one-by-one, which stutters the Maya UI. I already discussed this with engine team long time ago, and they have in mind to improve it in future.
When you set the spp to "0" - it completely disables the previews generation, the plugin never calls the preview API of the engine (which affects viewport, swatches and even UV-editor preview). So if you get crashes - this could be anything else, including Maya's own or some other plugins' bugs (e.g. Maya's 2020 new "cached playback" crashes all the time with Octane when enabled, this is some newly introduced Maya's bug). Thus I need your scene and a reproduce description from you to investigate what's happening on your side...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby metaphysique » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:47 pm

metaphysique Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:47 pm
I hear you, unfortunately with my NDA I cannot send the scene.

I have the cached playback turned off because it caused lots of issues back when they released it...though, I just turned it on to see what happens and strangely enough the scene is more stable with the spp values set to 0.

At some point after this project completes I will attempt to create some scenes for reproduction of the problems. At any rate, thanks for your reply.
metaphysique
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Autodesk Maya