Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Forums: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Hello from new Maya Technical Support !!!

Postby Jolbertoquini » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 am

Jolbertoquini Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:06 am
haze wrote:@Jolbertoquini V3 will be fully compatible with V2 from the outset - the changes you mention have been put aside in the interest of delivering v3 as fast as possible

Thanks
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm

ivankio Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm
What is the plan from now on? Will 3.x Maya plugin definitively continue on the current branch based on 2.x deprecating the node-based design for good, or will the maya-compatible nodes eventually come back in 2017 once it is more robust?

I ask that just to know if it would be worth to write now pipeline scripts (for my own use) with the current branch.
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dsyee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 am

dsyee Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 am
BK wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is Bikram, I am a seasoned Maya generalist and long time Maya user, and I am excited to join the Octane Maya dev team. I will be handling communication going forward on the weekly roadmap and will be responsible for ingesting user feedback on behalf of the devs. I'm looking forward to working with you to ensure your expectations are met. I will also assist with general support queries, and will be on these forums daily to answer questions, and assist where I can. :)

To kick things off, here is our first weekly development update:

Maya plugin version 2.26 will support Maya 2016.5 & 2017, with pascal GPU support.

We are also prioritizing plugin feature support for 3.04.3, and will be preparing a new release in the coming weeks which exposes all V3 functionality through high-level UI that is artist friendly. This will get 3.0 out of beta and production ready as soon as possible.

I am keen to hear any suggestions and criticisms.

Kind Regards

So...does Bikram still work here? It's been nearly three weeks, we've had only one "weekly roadmap," lots of unanswered questions and he's made 5 posts.
Core i7-3770 / 16GB RAM / 2x GTX 780 6GB / Windows 7
dsyee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 am

haze Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 am
Apologies for this, our attention has been on testing the v3 releases as they were made in order to get to stable status as quickly as possible. We will make an update on Monday NZDT
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby haze » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:25 am

haze Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:25 am
ivankio wrote:What is the plan from now on? Will 3.x Maya plugin definitively continue on the current branch based on 2.x deprecating the node-based design for good, or will the maya-compatible nodes eventually come back in 2017 once it is more robust?

I ask that just to know if it would be worth to write now pipeline scripts (for my own use) with the current branch.

At this point, the current release would be most suitable for the foreseeable future. Any refactoring and upgrades will take some time to do.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 am

calus Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 am
BK wrote:I will be handling communication going forward on the weekly roadmap and will be responsible for ingesting user feedback on behalf of the devs. I'm looking forward to working with you to ensure your expectations are met. I will also assist with general support queries, and will be on these forums daily to answer questions, and assist where I can.

Hi Bikram,

I'm not sure you realize that since more than 6 months none of your goals have been achieved on the forum :
- The weekly "roadmap" is not at all a roadmap, but only a copy-paste of the highly non-informative previous release logs from JimStar.
- You only made 44 posts in the forum and only a couple of them are actually support answers.
- For some reason you don't seem to read more than one post in ten made on the Maya Forum, and you don't seem to read them carefully enough because your few answers are often off topics.
- how can you "ingest" users feedback or "assist" if you don't even read carefully or at all users posts ?

Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to blame you, your helped a lot to get JimStar to improve the plugin, but communication was mostly outside of the forum (e.g on the OctaneRenderMaya Skype user group),
I only want to try to understand and analyze what makes you so inefficient on the forum :

FACTS:
- First, as we all know, it's almost impossible to get any information from JimStar, so I guess this is not very different for you, you can't give information that you don't have.
- You seem to have a very hard time to be able to concentrate on anything,
from here it looks like Otoy plugin team organization is just a giant huge mess at the moment and your lack of concentration must have a lot to do with that.
- While we had some success at first to get simple issues fixed,
more the issue become technical more we can see the limits of this system,
it's higly inefficient for everyone when I, for example, try to explain you very technical issues and then you try later to explain them to JimStar,
obviously we miss a way to give direct technical feedback to jimStar.
(once again I don't blame you, you are not supposed to have unlimited skills).

SUGGESTIONS:
- Make the Otoy inside bug tracker public for plugin users and with you as administrator, or at least public for power users like it's been done for other plugins.
- Try to convince JimStar to communicate the same way as Juanjgon, Paul or Aoktar ( :D just kidding I know it's impossible )
- Add more human ressource (with the needed skills and availability) to the supposed "OctaneForMaya" team.
- Think from scratch again Otoy's official plugin development organization in a way that it's possible to achieve the same quality of development, communication and support that with external developers plugins.

I know none of this solution is in your hands, hopefully Goldorak or maybe Haze can answer here ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 am

Goldorak Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 am
Hi all.

We are in the process of hiring more devs to add to the Maya team. Yes it's been ongoing for months. I am sorry it hasn't moved faster, we need to do this right. We're as eager as you are for a bigger team,and it will make a differnce. I am happy with how this process worked out with the larger 3DS Max team, I expect no less for Maya. I am personally doing what I can to expedite FWIW.

As always if you are looking for general OR community help (beyond Maya bug fixes - I don't know how to do that), I am around to connect devs, users and figure out how to help unblock user issues where possible.

Calus, thanks for your feedback. It's not lost on me that is super detailed and really good. I'll do what I can to help with the feedback loop.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am

calus Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:44 am
Goldorak wrote:Hi all.

We are in the process of hiring more devs to add to the Maya team. Yes it's been ongoing for months. I am sorry it hasn't moved faster, we need to do this right. We're as eager as you are for a bigger team,and it will make a differnce. I am happy with how this process worked out with the larger 3DS Max team, I expect no less for Maya. I am personally doing what I can to expedite FWIW.

As always if you are looking for general OR community help (beyond Maya bug fixes - I don't know how to do that), I am around to connect devs, users and figure out how to help unblock user issues where possible.

Calus, thanks for your feedback. It's not lost on me that is super detailed and really good. I'll do what I can to help with the feedback loop.

WOW THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I was almost desperate to get any attention on this subject :D )
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

Goldorak Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am
calus wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Hi all.

WOW THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I was almost desperate to get any attention on this subject :D )

I'm paying attention to the forums, but I do miss threads I'd like to contrubute to now and again. I am sorry I didn't get to this one sooner. I just wanted to make clear that we're all supporting the Maya development at every level in the company.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am

calus Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 am
Goldorak wrote:I'm paying attention to the forums, but I do miss threads I'd like to contrubute to now and again. I am sorry I didn't get to this one sooner. I just wanted to make clear that we're all supporting the Maya development at every level in the company.

oh maybe you missed this one then ?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57250&start=30#p311831
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Maya