Batch Render result different to normal render

Forums: Batch Render result different to normal render
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Batch Render result different to normal render

Postby seltzdesign » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:13 pm

seltzdesign Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:13 pm
I am using the Octane Version 2.24 Plugin in Maya 2014 and are having some troubles with it.
1) I am not getting any motion blur at all, independent of settings. If I export to standalone (more on that later), the motion blur is there.
2) If I use batch render the result is different to a normal render or IPR. There are no reflections on the materials:

Normal Render:

Batch Render:

Any ideas what could be causing this. The HDR is in the SourceImages folder along with all other textures.

Adding to that I noticed that a normal render inside Maya using Octane takes about 15 seconds for a frame, but Batch Render takes 2 Minutes per frame. Why?

So after discovering for the first time that Maya's batch rendering is really aweful, I found out I could just export the whole scene as an .orbx and open and render it in Standalone, which I have done. Unfortunately it really messes up. I am using Instancers in Maya and in Standalone Octane it is not using the instancer, so it either crashes the graphics driver (in Version 2.24 standalone) or crashes the graphics dirver and shows that it has failed (V3.03.4). Even if it had turned all instances into meshes, the count is still way too high.

Octane in Maya:

Exported .orbx in Standalone:

Maya 2014 doesn't support the V3 plugin as far as I know, and I cant use a newer version of Maya, since I am using a plugin which crashes for me in Maya 2016.5. Almost out of options now. Isn't there a way to get Maya to just render one frame after the other in its normal renderer? I cant believe all there is, is command line rendering.

Any ideas how to export to an .orbx with at least only the right amount of meshes, even if it is not using instances?

Thanks, Armin.
If you are not failing every now and again, it's a sign you are not doing anything very innovative.

- Woody Allen

Dual Xeon | 32GB Ram | 4 x GTX 580
seltzdesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Batch Render result different to normal render

Postby hilum » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm

hilum Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm
Hey Armin,

Sorry to hear you're having batch render issues. I've hit that problem many times in the past. If you can make-do with beauty renders, there is a MEL script you can run that will sequence out regular renders from maya without having to go through the batch render.

You can find that script on this page:

http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?p=318227

Good luck!
hilum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 am

haze Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:03 am
We have just put into testing the v2 plugin for Maya 2017, hopefully this will alleviate this issue.

We will investigate the issue of not using Maya instancers, and batch render differences.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:16 am

Refracty Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:16 am
When will the 2017 plugin (2.X) be released ?
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:18 am

haze Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:18 am
Release will likely happen within a few days, but we needed to allow for some testing to be carried out on our end. A lot has changed in 2016.5 and 2017 (particularly Viewport 2.0), so we want to ensure stability before this goes out.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya