Maya texture.outColor for Octane Materials

Forums: Maya texture.outColor for Octane Materials
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Maya texture.outColor for Octane Materials

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 pm

dionysiusmarquis Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 pm
Hi, i really like the Maya plugin! It's gettin' better with every update. There is really not much to zero to complain.

At the moment there is just one thing: It would be a real time saver to be able to use any .outColor with octane Materials. To use the color information directly without baking out everything first. Is this possible or even already planned?
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Maya texture.outColor for Octane Materials

Postby JimStar » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:39 pm

JimStar Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:39 pm
No, Octane is nothing to do with Maya's CPU nodegraph calculation. Octane nodes work absolutely different in comparison to Maya's CPU-calculated nodes, so their color inputs-outputs are not compatible by design.
So, if you like to use Octane in Maya - be prepared to use Octane nodes only in Octane rendered scenes.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 pm

dionysiusmarquis Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:40 pm
Yes ok I get it. I was already sure it couldn't be something trivial like float3 -> octaneTextureData. I was more thinking of using the bytes processing octane already uses for image files as an pipeline. I never looked deeper into outColor. But if its possible to rewrite the float3 outcolor to ram in an image like format wouldn't it be possible to feet octane with it somehow.

Maybe I'm still missing something here but that was my thinking when I was implementing HDR Light studio for Maya Octane as it feeds octane with new image data from hdd by changing the imageTextureName. I surely will look deeper to outColor just to get the whole picture. Octane independent :)
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

JimStar Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am
dionysiusmarquis wrote: I was already sure it couldn't be something trivial like float3 -> octaneTextureData

(float3 * <count of times of CPU calculation of float3 for every pixel through full nodegraph dependencies of foreign node>) -> (store somewhere as image) -> (octaneImageTexture)
See the difference?
You will need to start Maya's standard (or MentalRay's, whatever node's outColor you will have) full CPU node-graph render to get all image pixel's "float3" before feeding it to Octane. You will kill all the Octane's advantages by this CPU calculation of every foreign node before starting Octane rendering process (and by every Octane's Live-render refresh).

Just forget about it.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 am

dionysiusmarquis Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 am
Oh yeah. That completely makes sense. But I think we got a misunderstanding here. I was thinking of updating the data on specific request and via image or frame changes only optional. The functionality of octaneImageTexture just fed with ram data generated out of float3. I think it could be a real winning to be able to use Mayas procedurals and general texture generation.

Edit: Like a bake to ram. Mainly to save hdd space. And time to write bake scripts.
Last edited by dionysiusmarquis on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am

dionysiusmarquis Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am
abstrax wrote:[*] Added ability to specify image data directly as value via the API, removing the need to always go via image files.

Hi again,

I just read about this in the new 1.5. Is it at least possible to have an node which opens the ability to feed octane with image data for testing purpose?
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm

face Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm
dionysiusmarquis wrote:
abstrax wrote:[*] Added ability to specify image data directly as value via the API, removing the need to always go via image files.

Hi again,

I just read about this in the new 1.5. Is it at least possible to have an node which opens the ability to feed octane with image data for testing purpose?

We can fill a 2d buffer which is used as image inside Octane. But this doesn´t means to put image data from MentalRay to Octane.
When Octane is select as Renderer, there is no chance to get a color information from MentalRay.
I think the most important thing to use this buffer, is to generate some procedural textures like veins, perlin noise or others.

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

dionysiusmarquis Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm
I never wanted to use any other renderer than the software one!
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm

face Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm
That´s the same.
When you switch the renderer, you have only access to the color information of this renderer.
Whereby, we haven´t access to the Octane one because the API hasn´t this ability.

If this would be so simple, then no renderer would have an option to emulate the standart shaders or there is no need to convert between them.

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dionysiusmarquis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 pm

dionysiusmarquis Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:54 pm
Maybe I'm continuous misdescribing what I mean. I think Juanjo describes what I'm thinking about.

juanjgon wrote:... I could add some kind of support for procedurals, it is planned for the 2.x cycle, but they are not going to be true procedurals, because I am going to need to rasterize them to a limited resolution image maps...

-Juanjo

I understand that it is time consuming in Octane terms. But a bake or rasterize or what's the right term to get the texture as Pixelbuffer or what ever is needed for Octane on demand or optional per changes would be really nice.

I'm talking about these Textures:

to get something like this:
cloth1-pPlane1.png

I'm really sorry if theres is something I don't understand.

Edit: I'm already doing it quite often via Hypershade->Edit-> Convert to File Texture (Maya Software). But it's getting quite exhausting to do redo the Hypershade Convert to File for every tiny change in the texture.
dionysiusmarquis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Autodesk Maya