Octane for Maya - After Effects - Phtotoshop workflow

Forums: Octane for Maya - After Effects - Phtotoshop workflow
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Octane for Maya - After Effects - Phtotoshop workflow

Postby karl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:02 pm

karl Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:02 pm
The only thing that I can see missing in that document is in the third image, it doesn't specify what to set the OCIO view to - make sure it's set to sRGB. Other than that everything looks fine.

With those settings, it is expected that colors used in textures will not produce the same colors in the render output, because of the ACES tone mapping being applied. If you want the colors to round-trip you will need to not apply any sort of curve to the image.

If everything works in C4D then it sounds like there might be a problem with the Maya plugin. I'm afraid I can't help you there but at least that narrows it down.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Braca » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:47 am

Braca Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:47 am
Thanks, yes in the third image set to sRGB.
So what I noticed is that is has something to do with MAYA changing to ACES as well, so somehow the IPR looks much more saturated then it should be. And this is what is misleading us when we are doing lighting and texturing.
However the RGB Spectrum nodes are also all over the place.... Seems like for each one you need to change Color Mixing Space, and even then it is not matching 100% with the accurate RGB color.

Hi Braca,

As Karu mentioned already, could you please make sure native Maya's color management is disabled in IPR or set to RAW in the image below?
IPRMayaColorSpace.png

C4d uses Linear workflow while Maya workflow has ACES enabled by default so we need to disable one of the color transform (Octane or Maya)
We can permanently disable the native color management from the preferences:

DefaultMayaColorSpace.png

Also, best way to compare is to export your Maya scene as ORBX and test render outputs.
We are getting the same results as expected.

If it does not work then please enable the "scene-specific settings" in the Octane tab and PM or share a sample for us to investigate!

cheers
Braca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:11 pm

karl Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:11 pm
I'm confused because according to the document you shared, you're deliberately using ACES sRGB output in both Maya and After Effects. Or did I misunderstand something?

A random thought - is it possible that you are unintentionally using display color management in Maya?
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Braca » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:04 pm

Braca Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:04 pm
Yeah,

we already tried to disable Maya ACEES color management and it works, when we set everything to linear sRGB all is fine and we are getting the expected results, so I can confirm that the old way works.
And as Karu was mentioning I am trying to build a new workflow around ACES to use in our projects and that seems to be all over the place... still cannot get the expected results, white levels and saturation seems way off.
Braca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:09 am

BK Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:09 am
BK wrote:
Braca wrote:Yeah,

we already tried to disable Maya ACEES color management and it works, when we set everything to linear sRGB all is fine and we are getting the expected results, so I can confirm that the old way works.
And as Karu was mentioning I am trying to build a new workflow around ACES to use in our projects and that seems to be all over the place... still cannot get the expected results, white levels and saturation seems way off.

Hi Braca,

Thanks for the update.

Would you please help explain or share a reference of the expected results?
Is it possible to share the .ma or .mb file with the scene-specific setting option enabled?

We tested a reference from ACES central (https://acescentral.com/knowledge-base- ... ce-images/),
a still-life image captured by SonyF35 camera output with ACEScc format and CG rendered output using the latest OFM plugin release (viewtopic.php?f=109&t=81139).
SonyF35.StillLife_ACEScc.exr.zip
(19.39 MiB) Downloaded 98 times

The white balance seems to match when we compare. Could you please test on your side as well?

Looking forward to hearing back!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Braca » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:48 pm

Braca Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:48 pm
Let me get back to you on that. Just installed the latest plugin version.
Braca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:04 pm

elsksa Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:04 pm
Braca wrote:Really not sure what workflow to use to ensure proper colors and to get what I see, or to be somewhat close in comparison.

A "proper color-pipeline" is achievable with any color encoding system. The default sRGB one is simply the so called "linear workflow", which other C.E.S. follows, with different technical specifications.

Braca wrote:But also a big question about the RGB Spectrum Texture in Octane, why it is so off with correct rgb values put in? This was a problem even before ACES

A detailed example would be welcomed. It could come from a potentially wrongly set "view transform", assuming based on the content of this thread.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Autodesk Maya