Trying to understand Scatter on Surface (via Plugin)

Forums: Trying to understand Scatter on Surface (via Plugin)
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Trying to understand Scatter on Surface (via Plugin)

Postby leehenshall » Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm

leehenshall Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm
I can get Scatter on Surface to work via Standalone as well as via ORBX Proxy Object with in Octane for Maya.

I can't find any documention that explains the correct workflow for doing this in Maya. I was able to find something that looks like the Maya implementation via the Octane rollout under the shape node.

I tried enabling "Scatter on Surface" under "Geometry Modifier" and then pluging my scatter object into "scatter input #1:"

This feels like the same steps I used in standalone but it doesn't do anything. It seems like the Scatter inputs are not getting connected somehow. I am MMB dragging my scatter objects from the outliner into these inputs but it doesn't seem like it connects.

Here are my steps.

Create a sphere > enable "Scatter on Surface" via the octane rollout under the sphere shape:

0001.jpg
0001.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 1495 times

Create a small cube to use as a scatter object > Try to MMB drag this cube into the "scatter input #1:"

0002.jpg

It then Shows the cube in the desired slot. But If I click away from the object and re-enable the selection it is gone. It seems like the issue stems from there being no obvious way to connect scatter objects to the scatter system.

0003.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? or is this a bug? The workflow seems clunky.

Wouldn't it be better to just copy standalone and have a seperate object for the scattering system?
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Trying to understand Scatter on Surface (via Plugin)

Postby BK » Wed May 25, 2022 11:06 pm

BK Wed May 25, 2022 11:06 pm
leehenshall wrote:I can get Scatter on Surface to work via Standalone as well as via ORBX Proxy Object with in Octane for Maya.

I can't find any documention that explains the correct workflow for doing this in Maya. I was able to find something that looks like the Maya implementation via the Octane rollout under the shape node.

I tried enabling "Scatter on Surface" under "Geometry Modifier" and then pluging my scatter object into "scatter input #1:"

This feels like the same steps I used in standalone but it doesn't do anything. It seems like the Scatter inputs are not getting connected somehow. I am MMB dragging my scatter objects from the outliner into these inputs but it doesn't seem like it connects.

Here are my steps.

Create a sphere > enable "Scatter on Surface" via the octane rollout under the sphere shape:

The attachment 0001.jpg is no longer available

Create a small cube to use as a scatter object > Try to MMB drag this cube into the "scatter input #1:"

The attachment 0002.jpg is no longer available

It then Shows the cube in the desired slot. But If I click away from the object and re-enable the selection it is gone. It seems like the issue stems from there being no obvious way to connect scatter objects to the scatter system.

The attachment 0003.jpg is no longer available

Am I doing something wrong? or is this a bug? The workflow seems clunky.

Wouldn't it be better to just copy standalone and have a seperate object for the scattering system?

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the post!
Apology for the delays in updating the documentation. We will try to catch up as soon as our Standalone is done.

Sounds like your workflow is correct.
The only thing we see is that *Scatter input #1* is currently connected to Cube Transform. For this, we need the Shape node Mesh's name of the scatter mesh.

For example, Copy the name from here,
ScatterMesh.png

And paste in the Scatter input #1 of the Surface Mesh:
Surface.png

We recommend using the Maya node editor so we can connect to the pins.
Also, drag&drop from Node editor would work but not from the Outliner.

Please find the Maya scene file just in case!

Cheers
Attachments
LeeScatterOnSurface.zip
(14.33 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya